Small-arms armor penetration?

Sorry if this has been covered previously, but my search of past topics didn't turn this up.

My question is this:

I look at the armor plating on light vehicles like the M3 Halftrack (~7mm) or M3A1 White Scout car, and I wonder at what range (if any) regular small arms fire can penetrate them.

Can I use a M3 Halftrack to assault right up to a line of German infantry firing their Mausers? Or will their rifles (or attached MG-42) begin penetrating under a certain range?

I ask because I remember reading something in the General years ago about the difference in protection between the Wehrmacht SPW and the M3 in protection against small-arms fire, but I can't remember the details! Thanks for the help.

Chris Johnson

It's a bad idea to get HTs too close to infantry in any case. Whether they small arms penetrate or not will be the least of your worries when grenades are flying around and blowing everything up.

I've never seen an HT get taken out by small arms fire alone, but I suppose it could happen.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

istari

BTS has put up some armour penetration diagrams for small arms vs HT, but I'm unable to locate them, so everything I say here is from my memory.

The german MG42 ( wether the one which is incorporated in an infantry squad or the heavy variant) can penetrate the M3 HTs frontally up to a range of 250 meters.

The US .50 cal MG can penetrate the german HTs ( 250 or 251 variants) up to a range of 1500 meters frontally.

Excellent diagrams. Thanks guys. Now I understand why Allied air support is so devastating to Axis halftrack columns (a P-47D with 8 x 0.50cal would love the look of those penetration charts!)

However, I was curious if anyone has any information about mm of steel penetration for normal ball ammo for rifles (Mauser K98, M1 Garand) and for MGs.

But I think I'm seeing that M3 halftrack assaults are not such a hot idea against infantry squads, considering everyone of them has an MG-42 integral to their organization.

Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by istari:

But I think I'm seeing that M3 halftrack assaults are not such a hot idea against infantry squads, considering everyone of them has an MG-42 integral to their organization.

Chris<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are excellent against inf, especially for pinning units, but you can't bring them to knife fighting range. The grenades start to fly at about 40m, so stay farther back than that.

------------------

Charon doesn't make change.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>But I think I'm seeing that M3 halftrack assaults are not such a hot idea against infantry squads, considering everyone of them has an MG-42 integral to their organization.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Gustav says, don't get them *too* close, but a platoon of roving HTs planting a platoon of infantry right into battle and then supporting them by pinning the enemy inf has real good shock value. Enemy MGs are usually set further back, so aren't quite as deadly. Just watch out for those shrecks and fausts. I've been hammered in my recent games by those damn things!

And remember, starting with 1.05 (or was it 1.04?), BTS lowered the odds of a crew bailing from a vehicle with anything less than serious damage. Also, MG fire is now much less accurate (.50 cals previously were murdering German HTs). And don't forget about the British Ram Kangaroo. smile.gif

I don't think regular infantry weapons rifles, SMG, etc., can hurt HTs. Atleast I don't recall seeing any losses to them.

- Chris

[This message has been edited by Wolfe (edited 10-22-2000).]