Spotter timing

With v.102 I for the first time must question the timing of the time to impact information given from the spotters. I had one German 81mm spotter targeting a field and when I go to the action phase there were 2 min. remaining. After end action phase I checked again and was supprised to see that there were only 14 sec. remaing. confused.gif Therefore I canceled the targeting and setup another target area at the same spot. This time the timing was again 2 min. to impact but the enemy passed through the time window unharmed because this time the first shell impact at exactly two turns after rolleyes.gif I really do not need this supprise in a pbem so why can this be happening?

Malmvig

I quoth thusly from the game manual....

"The ESTIMATED time delay before the strike commences is shown in the artillery spotter's unit info window. Keep in mind that this is only the estimated time and it can take a little less or much longer before the first rounds fall. This "clock"will tick down much more slowly while the spotter dies not have line of sight to the target.

Usually about 30-60 seconds before the full strike, a few "spotting rounds" fall on ro near the target."

Hope that helps.

Ober

------------------

"Them Yankees couldn't hit the broa..."

Malm, when your spotter showed 14 seconds left, that meant 14 seconds until the spotting rounds would fall. When you moved his target marker, he had to completely re-call the artillery fire mission, meaning the time delay went back to 2 minutes.

What you're doing with an artillery observer is getting one group of guns to fire on one target at a time; you cannot target an area, then target another, and have the guns fire on both targets. Only the target currently being targeted by the observer will be hit.

DjB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Beman:

Malm, when your spotter showed 14 seconds left, that meant 14 seconds until the spotting rounds would fall. When you moved his target marker, he had to completely re-call the artillery fire mission, meaning the time delay went back to 2 minutes.

What you're doing with an artillery observer is getting one group of guns to fire on one target at a time; you cannot target an area, then target another, and have the guns fire on both targets. Only the target currently being targeted by the observer will be hit.

DjB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug has the right of it, especially since you cancelled the original fire mission. If you had gone in and selected 'Target' again, being careful to make sure you're getting a pale green line for the mission, what you're essentially doing is 'adjusting fire', rather than a complete retargeting. If you couldn't get that 'green line' indicator, than you were, in effect, telling the original artillery crews to cancel the mission, and go through the process of rechecking coordinates, re-laying guns, etc. for a totally new mission, which of course vastly added to the time taken. Even 'adjusting fire' will extend the time factor a bit, but not like cancelling the mission and completely 'retargeting'. I learned that on this board, and only after countless fire missions gone for nothing. smile.gif

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.