MG42 sounds

I've dld and applied numerous pathces and mods.

The MG42 no longer sounds like a 'burp'. Anyone else noticed this? I'm not sure which mod pack makes the erroneous (sp?) update.

However the correct .wav files are 440, 441, 442, 445 and 446, just copy them from the original CD.

------------------

Only the enemy in front, every other bugger behind.

- unofficial motto of the British Infantry Reconnaissance Corps, W.W.II

Sorry bout the double port seems some1 is flooding the forum. The.mpeg shows 1 thing is clear... even the LMG version of the mg42 can lay down some serious fire power in a short amount of time. I havent installed the 1.03 patch because of current PBEM games but I hope it does fix the lack of power that machine guns currently have.

Also sprach KIA: "I'm not sure which mod pack makes the erroneous (sp?) update."

The only sound pack I've installed is Mad-Dog Mod Pack newsoundmod.zip (the 6/25 version), and I've noticed the changed sounds. Thanks for posting the .wav filenames - I'm going back to the originals. Sorry, MadMatt, but I like the "burp" sounds better (the new ones sound a little too much like a dog chain rattling to me). However, the rest of your mods (sounds and graphics) are great.

[This message has been edited by WendellM (edited 07-28-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Doesn't bother in me in the least.

I just wanted to give people some more options.

It's not like I get paid for every donwload or anything! wink.gif

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

Hey, speaking of the MG42's in SPR - they didn't sound like MG42's at all! I suppose - assuming they didn't just muff it - they might have chosen a deeper, thuddier sound than the real thing, for effect. Although, if they're firing real guns, you'd assume they couldn't affect the sound.

The sound of an MG42 has been likened to a sewing machine, or tearing canvas, which I think is a very nice analogy.

David

Guest Madmatt

Thats not John Wayne.

it is Telly Savalas from Kelly's Heroes.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Although, if they're firing real guns, you'd assume they couldn't affect the sound.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd be amazed at a what a few thousand dollars worth of signal processing equipment can do. And the average post-production facility used for movies the scale of SPR has a lot more than a few $K worth of processing hardware. Even the choice of microphone and how you place it can have a huge effect, and once it's on tape you can mess with it all you want.

Used to do a lot of recording in a previous life.

I was at a talk given by the guy who does the sound for the Star Wars movies and the places and ways he gets sounds are incredibly varied. Pretty much only limited by his imagination because money sure isn't a problem with millions of dollars of toys to play with at Lucasfilm.

Jason

There's a whole set of recording people called "Foley Artists" who dub in the sound effects. Everything from the actors footsteps, to chewing on carrots, to horses hooves. And yes, many of them still use coconuts for horse hoof sounds. Nothing sounds as realistic after all those years of hearing them. I read an article waaaaay back in the past about a new Foley studio and they went into detail about all the different ground surfaces for walking sounds, etc. Really quite an interesting job.