Newbie Questions

I have just started to play CM, great game!! I do have a couple questions though:

When moving a whole group of guys by double clicking on their leader and giving a destination, sometime the leader gets far ahead and certain guys move along too slowly and get sepparated. Is there any way to get your men to stay in a tight formation, like all moving as slow as the slowest man?

Also when moving in this same style, a movement line is drawn the exact same distance and length as the one you drew for your leader, but if his memembers are a distance away they will remain this same distance away after a move.. Is there a way to move them all to the same POINT on a map, even if they are spread out at first??

Thanks in advance

[This message has been edited by Tobe (edited 07-19-2000).]

Your HQ unit just might be of veteran status.

The higher you go in troop quality the less there is a delay before the order is carried out. If your veteran HQ is leading regulars, greens, or conscripts, your HQ will leave the other guys in the dust.

To help coordinate this type of situation, issue a pause command to your HQ unit before the action starts. That will add a 15 second delay to his following the ordered route.

As for the other thing that you mention, you'll have to plot each squad individually to arrive exactly where you want them to go. (Out of formation.) Though, I don't think that is too wise. Bunching men up in the same spot tends to catch the eye of a leary enemy artillery observer. And then the rains of hell come crashing down! In short, bunching guys really tight together makes them vulnerable to one well placed 155mm shell and then, whamo!, no more rifle platoon. Just a tip. smile.gif

Cheers!

------------------

BJ Simpson

Visit www.arrl.org for information about Ham Radio.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Units moving through different types of terrain(clear, woods, etc.) will move at different rates, too. I only use this method for "moving towards the sound of guns" or I'll do it then tweak the individual squads' movement orders by adjusting their waypoints.

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Ok good point about not grouping the guys around a point kb9sog. I'll try to pause my HQ next time. One more question, is there a quick way to find certain units? I always seem to have a hard time finding like say my spotter amongst all the other infantry. I know I can cycle through the units, but does anyone have a better method of quickly finding a certain type of unit on the battlefield?

Is this game addicting or what?? smile.gif

Very addictive.

Don't know about any menu or something of that sort from which you can select a specific unit. But there has been a large outcry from people on this board to have it added in one of the patches.

You may have thought of/tried this already, but if you know the general location of the unit you're trying to find, drag a box over it and any living unites will be highlighted. This might not help with your question but is great for units hidden in the woods.

------------------

Upon the fields of friendly strife, are sown the seeds of Victory.

---Douglas McArthur

Welcome Tobe,

You wrote"...is there a quick way to find certain units? I always seem to have a hard time finding like say my spotter amongst all the other infantry."

One thing I like to do sometimes is to remove all the trees and increase the unit size. This helps me to see everyone and make sure I haven't missed anybody eagerly awaiting my orders (although, to BTS' credit, they are right: you don't have to micromanage your men- which is a nice change of pace!). Then, before pressing "GO", I set everything back to normal to watch the battle.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tobe:

I have just started to play CM, great game!! I do have a couple questions though:

When moving a whole group of guys by double clicking on their leader and giving a destination, sometime the leader gets far ahead and certain guys move along too slowly and get sepparated. Is there any way to get your men to stay in a tight formation, like all moving a slow as the slowest man?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In real battles, units are given phase lines for regrouping and gathering laggards cool.gif, checking the situation etc. Usually there would be at least two phase lines before the actual attack began, one for regrouping, and one for a `starting`line for the assault. A game like this with a limited time does not model this very well. frown.gif

However you will find that if yu manage to keep your platoons together, you will have much more success; it is often a tough call whether to continue an attack with dispersed units against a disorganized enemy or to wait and risk the defence solidifying.

In bocage warfare, the German standard operating procedure was that `standard`methods must be foregone in favor of improvisation to expoit superior German fighting ability against enemy weaknesses. frown.gif

Henri

Henri

[This message has been edited by Henri (edited 07-19-2000).]

ach, in reality the slowness of some of your troops is prolly due to the ex-lax that was slipped into last nights evening meal for you troops by the AI biggrin.gif

just kidding biggrin.gif

welcome!

------------------

unca pathy will show ya the path,

if only he could find it himself!

[This message has been edited by pathfinder (edited 07-19-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tobe:

Ok good point about not grouping the guys around a point kb9sog. I'll try to pause my HQ next time. One more question, is there a quick way to find certain units? I always seem to have a hard time finding like say my spotter amongst all the other infantry. I know I can cycle through the units, but does anyone have a better method of quickly finding a certain type of unit on the battlefield?

Is this game addicting or what?? smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

I've also found that after playing for a few weeks that you no longer have trouble knowing where your units are because, well, you just know! Kind of like the way you'll soon find yourself looking at that hill on the way to work and saying "now if I put my HQ there and my 3 81mm mortars there I could take this whole road under fire."

Welcome!

P.S. send me a setup!