Suggested new order: Retreat OK

After seeing a scout unit of mine standing heroically against accurate long-range 105mm tank fire, it occured to me that I'd really like to have the option to explain to my men that I want them to run at the first sign of serious trouble.

That is, often I send scouts forward (or up) and want them to see but not stand and get killed if they come under attack. There seems to be no way to communicate that to the men, leading to extra casualties for misplaced bravery.

PvK

The way the game is now, you can use sneak and then hide. Time it with a few pauses so they get there with as little "exposed time" as possible. Then they will be under enemy fire for as little as possible but you will be able (hopefully) to give them a withdrawl order the next turn.

I think an order like you are describing should be available for certain armor, ie armored cars, recon, elite/crack crews..

Lewis

[This message has been edited by :USERNAME: (edited 07-13-2000).]

Guest aaronb

tacops has this concept with standing orders - "SOP". you can download the demo and try it out. Would be nice icing for CM.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wittmann:

I got a tank under hunt orders who took a hit which damaged its gun,continue on its order path with no defence!!!

In reality he should have bugged out and called the cavalry<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um....

He *IS* the cavalry. smile.gif

------------------

-Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by :USERNAME::

The way the game is now, you can use sneak and then hide. Time it with a few pauses so they get there with as little "exposed time" as possible. Then they will be under enemy fire for as little as possible but you will be able (hopefully) to give them a withdrawl order the next turn.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that's exactly what I did, and it worked - my enemy says he didn't ever spot my unit. No complaint there, about sneaking to the position.

But he attacked the building anyway, because he figured I might have someone in it and it was about all he could hit. So round after round of 105mm HE hit the house throughout the turn, and my men "held their ground" with great courage... and no purpose. The problem is that they stayed around to get killed, but they weren't there to hold ground, just to peek and run if there was trouble.

What I want is a way to tell certain units that I'd like them to fall back if they get attacked, or attacked with anything more than very light fire. Perhaps I could even specify the place I want them to retreat to when they receive fire.

PvK

"So round after round of 105mm HE hit the house throughout the turn, and my men 'held their ground' with great courage... and no purpose. The problem is that they stayed around to get killed, but they weren't there to hold ground, just to peek and run if there was trouble."

Good point. 'Course you do get to order them back within a minute (avg. time 30 secs - assuming they aren't suppressed), but it would be nice to have a "Scout" command with immediate fallback implied if fired upon. I'm all for specialized orders (given before enemy contact - basically "IF/THEN" commands).

[This message has been edited by WendellM (edited 07-14-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WendellM:

I'm all for specialized orders (given before enemy contact - basically "IF/THEN" commands).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, scripting! Now, that would indeed be a blast, but wouldn't it put an aditional heavy load on the TacAI?

Come to think of it, I guess the TacAI basically is a very extensive set of IF/THEN/ELSE commands. I know that's oversimplificating things, but you get the idea.

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason why, our's is but to do and die!

[This message has been edited by Hawk (edited 07-14-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Come to think of it, I guess the TacAI basically is a very extensive set of IF/THEN/ELSE commands. I know that's oversimplificating things, but you get the idea.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that's what I figured, so it shouldn't be too tough to implement something like "Scout" (says the relatively naive player [me] to the veteran CM programmers smile.gif ).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WendellM:

but it would be nice to have a "Scout" command with immediate fallback implied if fired upon. I'm all for specialized orders (given before enemy contact - basically "IF/THEN" commands). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that I think about it, don't the smaller AC's already have

this? They rush away if they come into contact with big weapons.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hawk:

Ah, scripting! Now, that would indeed be a blast, but wouldn't it put an aditional heavy load on the TacAI?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't think it would. That is, not scripting, but just a way to order units fall back when they come under fire.

PvK