An issue that's been bothering me about CM

Guest Sofos

Guest Sofos

I'll get wrigh to the point of my argumment.

WHY are there no ammunition vehicles???

I found their lack annoying especially at long scenarios (70 turns and more).

I am talking about resupplying with ammo at least mobile artillery.I cannot understand why they are not present at the game, I would like to have the option of using them.

And no I don't believe it is not reallistic to have them because I don't think thatany M.A. that used up all its ammunition wouldn't call or try to get ressuplied and contiue to fight.

I would like to apologise in advance if the subject has been discussed before but I couldn't find it.

70 turns is only 1 hour 10 mins. This is not enough time to fire off your entire load... retreat back to ammo trucks a safe distance from the front lines, reload the vehicle, and then rejoin the fighting. That is why I would suspect.

I think KiwiJoe has a good point here. Resupply is best done at asafe distance from the front (well, relatively safe, at least. smile.gif )

For depicting historical actions where units were actually resupplied on the battlefield, the best you can do is give them more ammo in the scenario editor.

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Excellent idea Intelweenie.

I think it would be very cool to see units which can be bought which would carry extra ammo for small arms. These "carriers" were realistically brought forward in some circumstances, particularly during attack .

Better yet, it would be add a tactical element to corner and anhilate these mini-ammo supplies.

I think Sofos has a point, at least with some of the vehicles. I'm not sure about this, but I think it was the Wasp. I read they had an ammo carrier just behind them (100-200m). Ofcourse, this could have been when it was used in indirect fire mode! But I also remebmer reading that it was very risky to be on one of these carriers 'cos of enemy fire, so that indicate that it wasn't THAT far from the front. I'll try to find some facts instead of just vague memories!! smile.gif

André

ok as for ammo. I like lots.. expecial HE right germanboy? Also if you have made the battle yourself just up the ammo amounts on each unit.. if you are playing a Operation then you get ammo back slowly.. more so if night falls.

Ja it would be cool to see a ammo truck explode..wow. but in the same sence why are there no Ambulances or Medics.. ? cuz they are pretty irrelivant I guess in such a short battle time.

talking about wounded in the game when one take casualties in a Operation do they (soldiers) come back later if the wounds were not critical? sort of like vehicle recovery, sometimes come back if the operation falls under a few days. Yes I know your going to say "hey you'll be hospital" but there are often situations where if it was a minor wound or light head wound they got back into the fight, or maybe units that are surrounded like elements the 30th Div. at Mortain (i think thats the right spelling) where the wounded fought if they could cuz they could not send them to the back due to being stuck on a hill.

[This message has been edited by mensch (edited 07-26-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'm not sure about this, but I think it was the Wasp. I read they had an ammo carrier just behind them (100-200m). Ofcourse, this could have been when it was used in indirect fire mode!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the Wespe WAS primarily an indirect fire weapon. It was a self-propelled artillery piece used mostly by panzer divisions, directly analogous to the M7 Priest HMC of US armored division. It was not intended for use on the FEBA as a tank destroyer. Sure, this happened from time to time, but such used deprived the German unit of its arty support.

When used as intended, as a piece of artillery, the Wespe was accompanied by another vehicle of some type that carried more ammo for it. In fact, ALL artillery pieces have an ammo vehicle, whether they are towed guns or self-propelled. But these ammo vehicles are for when the weapon is firing as arty from behind the FEBA. You don't take them up to the front lines unless they are needed to tow a gun up there.

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman