Is the German 540mm Mortar in the game?

Guest MantaRay

Guest MantaRay

Ok, before tonight I had never heard of this paricular calibre, but saw it on the History Channel tonight on a show about Ramaden and the battle that took place to keep the treadway bridges safe from the Germans. It had some really kick ass footage of a 280mm Rail Gun, the ME-262, and the V2 Rockets. Too bad I only saw the last 15 mins.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

Guest Big Time Software

CM doesn't have a 540mm mortar, but it does have German 210mm artillery and 300mm rockets (nebelwerfers) plus Allied 14-inch battleship guns (356mm). biggrin.gif

Charles

Guest MantaRay

Actually, since I had never heard of them discussed anywhere before, I was fishing to see if they really do exist, or was it just one of those things that slipped by the editors of the show.

I mean Jeez, that is 5X bigger than the 120mm and has got to be a load to carry for a typical mortar crew.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

I was gonna make that same observation.

Maybe MG Mannschft can enlighten us smile.gif

Seriously though, I did a quick internet search and couldn't find any info on 540mm German siege mortars. I'd be interested in seeing a picture of one (assuming it actually existed).

Lefty

Actually as I recall it was the Sturmorser (sp) "Karl" and was mounted on a tracked carrier. The support veicles included Pz 4s with covered ammo racks and some with cranes to place the ammo on the firing platform. In reality the gun was not a mortar but a howitzer. The unit was very wide and had to be disassembled and moved on railcars. Hasegawa/Minicraft used to make a very detialed model of the unit. I believe they were mainly used in seige type actions Stalingrad/Lenningrad to pummel large areas. I am sure someone else will have better more accurate info, I gave all my books that covered WW2 to my dad... Karl Mead

karl.jpg

Here you got Karl(Gerät41). I posted this picture last year in my *wish list for CM2* thread. It came in two sizes: 54cm and 60cm. this would be really fun to watch. (Hey, this platoon just vanished from earth..where could they be gone???) smile.gif

visit: Lindan's Wargasm" a proud member of the CM webring.

[This message has been edited by Lindan (edited 06-15-2000).]

Guest Pillar

hehe, that's nothing. Who here heard about the "Little David" the Americans had? This thing still holds the record of having the largest calibre of any modern artillery piece at 914mm (36 Inches).

I learned about it from the book "The Complete Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II" edited by Chris Bishop. Check it out! biggrin.gif