Any of You play TacOps too?

I'm curious since in many ways the two games play in a similar fashion. I played TacOps for about 2 years (1995-97), and still tell people it's the best modern military game out there.

I haven't plunked the money down for CM yet, since I only discovered it about a week ago and most of my time has been flying my virtual F-18, but I absolutely loved the demo, and am starting to have those all-too-familiar dreams about battlefield glory.

I'd love to hear your comments/comparisons on CM, and what you think I'll like/dislike about this game. I keep hearing about the AI being a little weak, and would like to know more. I also keep hearing accolades, both from players and reviewers, that this could be the best computer wargame in a very long time.

I'm sure I'll buy it soon anyway. I'd just like to know what I'm gettting into.

Thanks,

Matt

------------------

MaddMatt/Crimguy

CO, VMFA-323 Death Rattlers

www.deathrattlers.webme.net/homepage.html

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MajorH:

Buy it.

You won't be disappointed.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here, Here

Play the demo (you have the gold demo right - has Valley of Trouble in it) ..make sure it has the new smoke expolsion textures.... a couple of times. Take a look at screenshots around here and at CMHQ and ask yourself what could make so many otherwise bright , right thinking joes So bonkers. Then buy it and kiss your life etc good bye. If you love WW2 simualtion at the squad level then this is it.

Need further proof that you are wasting otherwise valuable CM playing time by waiting? Go to http://www.battlefront.com/products/worldwar/cm/cm_rev.html and read what some of the big gun reviewers are saying.........best $45 plus shipping you will ever spend

------------------

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

-- King Henry VI, Part II, Act 4, sc.2, l.86

There's obviously no comparison between CM's superior graphics and TacOps, and TacOps doesn't have the hyper-realistic physics of CM. But, TacOps is still an excellent game. It's certainly worth picking up for any players who don't have it and are interested in modern combat (especially for its price).

That said, CM is simply a must-have, no question. You mentioned the AI being a little weak (which it is - it's not stupid; it puts up a reasonable fight and can win, but it's not the toughest). However, even with that minor niggle (which is made up to a large degree by the fact that you don't have to do anything to make the AI work with any scenario you create, it just does), CM is the all-around best tactical wargame yet. I've been having great fun playing around with all the neat weapon systems and putting together quickie scenarios to try out different tactics.

Wendell

Umm, sorry, but what's with the handle? Was Bigg Timee Sofftwarre already taken? I would advocate distinguishing yourself as an individual, rather than playing on a Forum stalwart. Forgive me, please, if this is the veriest of coincidences...

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

"I hate TacOps! The AI cheats!"

Those are all-too-familiar phrases in my house after a few rounds of TacOps. smile.gif After getting my ass handed back to me a few times, I sure get vicious. smile.gif

BTW,

The above was entirely in jest. I happen to love TacOps, and am happy as a clam that CM and TacOps are together under the BF.Com roof.

TacOps will ALWAYS be on my drive. There's a new map making utility I'm playing with now between CM marathons. Before CM, I had lots of TacOps marathons. It's a fine piece of work and well supported by the Major.

------------------

Smoker out.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seanachai:

Umm, sorry, but what's with the handle? Was Bigg Timee Sofftwarre already taken? I would advocate distinguishing yourself as an individual, rather than playing on a Forum stalwart. Forgive me, please, if this is the veriest of coincidences...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After looking around here a bit, I have noticed a man going by Madmatt. Just a coincidence, actually. Certainly not trying to imitate him. I've been going by Maddmatt for some time now (5 years? sheesh, I'm getting old!), as it was my screen name back on AOL, and continued until I couldn't use it to sign onto Jane's Combat Net. So, in most circles I'm maddmatt, and in flight sims, I'm Crimguy, the CO of the venerable VMFA-323 Death Rattlers.

Madmatt, if you're out there, I guess we'll have to work something out!! If it causes too much confusion around here, I'll be happy to change handles. Especially since I plan on buying this sucker after playing the demo 3 times now!!!

One more question though: is this game what was going to become TacOps 3D?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. After playing the demo, I can't believe I actually plunked $30 on Shogun, since I know that once this game arrives Shogun will just be a giant black hole on my hard drive.

------------------

MaddMatt/Crimguy

CO, VMFA-323 Death Rattlers

www.deathrattlers.webme.net/homepage.html

Guest Madmatt

Well, it may cause a bit since most people seem to spell my name wrong all the time! wink.gif

I get:

MaddMatt

MADmatt

MadMatt

Madd Matt

Mad Matt

Among others I won't go into... biggrin.gif

Hell, they even got it wrong in the game credits! eek.gif

If you don't mind doing a double take whenever someones asks me a question (which they do daily here) then leave it alone but I have been known as "Madmatt" since my days when the internet was just Usenet and known as that here for over 1,470 separate posts! I think it might be best for you to try something a little less confusing...

Besides, you you really want people confusing you with a bald megolamaniacal geek that is also a former bouncer? eek.gif

Madmatt

The one, and thankfully, the only!

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 07-16-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'm curious since in many ways the two games play in a similar fashion. I

played TacOps for about 2 years (1995-97), and still tell people it's the

best modern military game out there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although some of its limitations (graphics, only two height levels, no morale effects) have been criticized by some, TacOps is no doubt the best modern battle simulator available, and is being used by some military for training purposes.

TacOps has some innovative features that have not yet made their way into other wargames, like standard operating procedures and multiple scripted tactics by the PO. Many of us are hoping that some of those features (especially the SOP) will be found in the next version of Combat Mission.

Anyone interested in WW2 tgactical combat HAS to buy smile.gif, steal eek.gif or trade tongue.gif in order to get this game.It's not quite Squad Leader, but it pretty close, and maybe better in some ways.

I always liked being able to set global and unit based SOPs for various events like targeting and actions on conact in TACOPs. These are things which wouldn't hurt considering for the CM engine.

Los

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maddmatt:

After looking around here a bit, I have noticed a man going by Madmatt. Just a coincidence, actually. Certainly not trying to imitate him. I've been going by Maddmatt for some time now (5 years?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I originally posted the what's the deal, and now that I realize it is in fact veriest coincidence, my apologies if my post seemed harsh. In self defense, there were a few new members (actually, they were usually casual troublemakers who soon left), who made a point of trying to seem like people that might be considered official, or 'semi'-official. Again, as there was no intent, my apologies, and welcome to the board.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.