Who has had success with Target Wide?

Is it just me or have others had shunned using the TARGET WIDE for artillery? In the small unit actions I play I usually just have mortars and the TacAI and PBEM opponents group their assets close enough for TARGET to be more effective.

Thinking about it now maybe I'll fire up CM and check its usefullness in stemming large scale forces.

------------------

he which maketh the first assault doth endanger himselfe most (sometimes)

Guest Pillar

One use of Target Wide is to deny the enemy mobility. No sane commander is going to rush your positions through even a widely dispersed arty barrage, it would be suicide.

So if you are readjusting something crucial, make sure you deny the enemy the ability to attack at that moment.

Pillar,

Excellent. Loss of mobility is always what I hope for (as well as lots-o-body-bags) but using the TARGET command always seems to have worked sufficiently. Perhaps I need to try larger scale maps/forces and get burned once or twice when my assets are in the wrong spot.

"Doh! I should never have moved that PShrek!"

I use target wide sometimes when that LOS to the actual target is just out of sight. It also works well to "bend it" so to speak, mabye around a tree line or some other hidden spot to supress a position that you feel may be being held by the enemy. I have had moderate to good success with it. And the mobility issue stated by pillar is another fine use for it.

GI Tom

------------------

To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of wierd sandwich.

I think It depense of the map. Sometimes you can't get a good line of fire (sight) from your position. Some maps included many obstructions of you spotters line of sight. That included woods, scattred or pines of trees. If your troops are in distress, your only support may be wide target at the enemy positions. Expecially, when using large shells, Target wide - could mean serious interdiction on the enemy force. If you had purchased spotters - you damn well need to use them. Remember - that your opponnent may had purchased other equitment for those you spent on spotters so he or she would have one more unit to throw at your forces. You

had to make sure that every one of your spotters eliminate one enemy unit at least - else the calculater may return some red digits.

Henrik Malmvig

I've used it only once or twice. The one time I used it to very good effect was when the ai was just coming out of some woods en masse to rush a position on a very broad front. I dropped a wide barrage down just as the bulk of its squads were right in the middle of a large clearing. It did exactly what I wanted, dispersed and delayed the entire attack and furthered my ability to destroy it in piecemeal. It may not have inflicted great casualties, but it certainly accomplished what I wanted it to do.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RudeLover:

Anyone ever tried to Target Wide with German rocket artillery? Or would that be like making instant coffee in the microwave?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL - that reminds me of the game I had with Mensch where his 150mm rickets rained down everywhere, killing one of my M8 Howitzer Carriers, but half of a platoon of his. That was sweet. I got 210mm rickets in a QB against the AI (computer went shopping), and they came down roughly where I wanted to have them (i.e. on the map more into the enemy then into my position), but the FOO had LOS to the area, and I did not dare to use Target wide.

------------------

Andreas

I use it often for case when the enemy is hidden, but I am almost sure that he is there, for example in a nice juicy forest area where I can see two or three symbols and suspect that there are more confused.gif. I pepper the area with artillery or mortar, and usually kill a lot of enemies. biggrin.gif

The area fire is useful when you don't know exactly where to shoot.

Henri

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

I got 210mm rickets in a QB against the AI

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I recommend you get out in the sunlight more often, or take vitamin D supplements.

I had a 150mm rocket land about 400m short, shocking a friendly Panther. frown.gif

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Claymore:

Is it just me or have others had shunned using the TARGET WIDE for artillery?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still haven't found out a way to avoid using it.

First a question; I assume wide targets are the ones indicated with "Area Fire" at the aiming beam, right?

In that case ALL of my indirect fire is wide, except for on map mortars spotting their own fire against enemy troops within LOS and in open/wood terrain.

As soon as there's a FO involved or the targeted unit is indoors it becomes area fire.

This is my experience with (all of) the demo versions.

Cheers

Olle

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henri:

I use it often for case when the enemy is hidden, but I am almost sure that he is there, for example in a nice juicy forest area where I can see two or three symbols and suspect that there are more confused.gif. I pepper the area with artillery or mortar, and usually kill a lot of enemies. biggrin.gif

The area fire is useful when you don't know exactly where to shoot.

Henri<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I better move those guys! eek.gif

Olle said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>First a question; I assume wide targets are the ones indicated with "Area Fire" at the aiming beam, right?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think this is correct. You'll get an area fire marking whether you use target or target wide. It'll just be a difference in the dispersion pattern.

Any indirect fire can only be area fire (both with onboard and offboard assests) but area fier doesn't necessairly mean target wide.

Ben

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

I think I better move those guys! eek.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh sh*t, I think I just told my opponent what I was going to do on my next move mad.gif

Henri rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by Henri (edited 08-11-2000).]

I've used it to protect the flanks of attacking forces. Even if it doesn't wipe out many squads, it pretty well supresses them or drives them away. It also prevents renforcement through the target area.

I'm in the middle of a scenario where I'm trying to use a Target Wide to force attachers massing in a hidden valley into a premature attack. Don't know yet if it'll work...

Tom.

I've used it to kill my own front line. When I'm tired of them, or they have behaved badly, it is quite useful.

I have yet to see it faze the enemy at all, though of course I can't see it from his point of view.

Playing mostly Germans I rarely get enough to waste... frown.gif profligate use of artillery is a sign of low character and weak morals.