Down but still Proud and I will make them PAY!!! Update on CMHQ/ANNEX/CHAT/CANADIANHQ

Guest Madmatt

I'm sorry to hear this Matt. mad.gif Keep us posted. Like the rest of us, I'm sure you have a lot better things to do than rebuild your systems. I just hope no permanent damage was done. I for one REALLY appreciate all that you've done for CM. No good deed goes unpunished I guess. frown.gif

I have no doubt that you, like the RCMP, will eventually get your man.

Glenn

there are not enuf cuss words in any lanquage....

Madone, I believe I can safely say you certainly have the majority, if not all, of the CM crowd behind ya.

wish I could program or something....*sigh*

all I caan do is wish ya luck...

this is a real pisser! mad.gif

------------------

unca pathy will show ya the path,

if only he could find it himself!

I love it when these freakin warez guys say they are fighting a corporate evil.....what a crapload of BS...be a man/woman and just admit your friggin greedy and are too lame to guy a great game that's relatively bug free...what did the CM guys do to u?? They released a game that is SUPERB enuf for u to steal it and was playable right out of the box...your just lowlife thieves along with ur hacker buddies that destroy sites....man...i hope what comes around goes around...i don't think it often does but just know this..we consider you lowlife dishonest leeches as i'm sure this behavior extends in ur treatment of other people. Plain and simple, most of the folks on this forum are just plain better people than you hackers and thieves so save your corporate evil argument for your own delusional self justifying world. I feel sorry for ya!(u can tell these people piss me off huh?) > frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Fox (edited 08-19-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Update 10:10 EST

Win 98 system is back to about 85% efficiancy with no data loss. I still need to reinstall a few apps and I lost all my archived email but all in all in could have been much worse.

The server is another issue all together.

I basically self taught myself enough about NT and the NTFS directory structure to get the server configured but now I am kinda stuck.

The system won't boot. My Win 2k setup disks crash when they try to boot and I can't seem to get the Cd-Rom to autoboot properly.

Not a good situation.

I have verified that the data on the server IS STILL THERE I am just having one bitch of a time accessing it.

I am thinking of repartitioning the drive and installign a second copy of NT. That way I can at least access the old partition and perhaps salvavge most of the data. I have Partition Magic 5 and am pretty sure this is the only recourse at this time.

Anyone that knows NT inside and out feel free to email me with any hints or suggestions.

Rune, I got your emails and the info is helpfull but it always assumes I can get the setup disks to boot which they will not.

Ammo gone, HQ has been hit, we have them on the run!

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

Matt,

Sorry to hear that. I can't remember exactly if you have got a firewall installed on your NT2K. What brand is it? Have you installed all the security patches for IE, Outlook, NT, IIS, etc? It is pain in a** but if you are admin NT, actually whatever OS, you need to stay alert and get all to updated fixes asap.

Apart from the awesome NTFAQ, you will also need to back up constantly (and cut off that Win98 and file sharing from your server, if any) and check this:

http://www.cert.org/

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

Other than good old paranoia (a dear and close friend of mine) how do you know any warez elements crashed you? Why dont they crash BTS?

Its a bitch when the micro world lets us down. My gfriend was pestering me while I was getting my PC apart. "Take some vitamins blah blaah" crap. "GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME" swinging my arms crap was the result. Pills everywhere. Yeah one got in the motherboard and melted. PCI slot filled with vitamin E oil it seemed. I of course suspected foul play, evil empires and such.

Anyway it took awhile. Lots of swapping/thinking/looking. Take your self taught stance into consideration. At work I have to find a way to get a 486dx2/DOS6.22/DATA Aquisition soldered in MB to talk to a NT system. Technologys hell.

Lewis

heh not much help now... but ...

1. if you are going to piss off hackers, dont run windows 98, try and run 2k if you can and try to lock it down

2. run a personal firewall at ALL times. i use black ice defender located at: http://www.networkice.com/

3. hire someone to assist in locking down your box if you can't do it yourself to a degree you are comfortable with

sorry to hear about your misfortune, it's a real pain in the ass.

and btw.. the site is outstanding.

[This message has been edited by eggman5151 (edited 08-20-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

I appreciate all the advice and suggestions guys but this was not a 98 box they hacked into. This was Windows 2000 Advanced Server WITH a Firewall and every secruity update available from MS.

They utilized an exploit with the way Metaframe was installed on my server (I had even just recently upgraded to 128k login and session secruity too). Metaframe is a terminal server and apparently has a few more holes in it than I thought. frown.gif

I know it was an directed attack as I still have access to my session and error logs and can SEE what he did and how it was done.

After I kick the living **** out of this guy I will shake his hand as he was a talented SOB, I will say that much.

Work continues.

Broadband access restored so you may resume sending me files, mods and best wishes!

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Swamp,

Most hackers aren't peniless workers in shoe factories.

It's real simple. IF someone can afford to buy a COMPUTER then they can afford to buy a GAME or the SOFTWARE they really need to run it.

Anyways, most pirates these days are just spoiled little teenagers and near-teenagers who rob online and in the real world. I have respect for the few who ARE really fighting for freedom of speech etc but 95% of the guys out there are just little thieving assholes trying to pretend to be something else.

Windows 2000?

Ooops! And a couple of months ago I asked jokingly whether BTS was running IIS... I thought you were all Mac people? confused.gif

Nevertheless, it's not because a door is left open that others can tresspass legally. I hope you can track down that hacker.

I agree with the previous post re. 95% of "hackers" being thieves hiding behind a noble philosophy. Thieves are thieves. mad.gif

Please don't call hackers thieves, it's very

demeaning to the thieves, after all, they take risks. Personally, Matt when ya trace this guy, give out a real world addy, bad things have been known to happen to hapless sociopaths that cross the line, real bad things wink.gif

------------------

Pzvg

"Murphy's law of combat #10, never forget your weapon is made by the lowest bidder

Guest *Captain Foobar*

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Please don't call hackers thieves, it's very

demeaning to the thieves, after all, they take risks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO smile.gif

Thanks...I needed that! smile.gif

well

Chances are matt knows how the attack was done. But if he's as good as he sounds to find such a neat little hole to punch through, (ie. not a script-kiddy), then he has probably covered his IP trail well.

I hope Matt does have some serious details on this guy because Denial of Service attacks are taken quite seriously these days, and I imagine legal proceedings are not out of the question, (ie. for damages?).

However, proof of all this is still extremely difficult eh? And often involves trying to get their ISP to help out, and sometimes they're lazy SOBs

Good luck, keep us posted Matt

PeterNZ

FWIW I have heard very good things about network-ice, which was mentioned above.

It seems to me there is a lot of free detail here about exactly what you are using, which I would keep to myself as a matter of FOW.

Let any other hackers start from scratch.

mad.gif

Guest Madmatt

Nah, I have gone through the logs and he wasn't as good as I first figured.

I am now MUCH better informed on how to manage errors on a NTFS disk and that was which has kept me down all weekend.

The server is now back up with ZERO data loss but I am running some new security software and generally just upgrading the whole system so you may get an error trying to attach to it. The Chat system is back up though and you should be able to attach normally.

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

It seems to me there is a lot of free detail here about exactly what you are using, which I would keep to myself as a matter of FOW.

Let any other hackers start from scratch.

mad.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehehe, who said I was telling the truth?!? wink.gif

Way ahead of you there mate, I am not divulging anything about what I have running NOW! biggrin.gif

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Matt,

If you have event logs and know ip and what port they entered and all that, IF when you trace his host you dont find that hes bouncing or spoofing his ip, you have him period, phone or email his ISP and clue them into whats going on the exact time of incident and ip, theres a chance hes dumber than he leads to be. but on the other hand if hes skilled, then hes well aware of the ease of identification. if thats the case use the lesson to bolster the security of your server.

Sparks