The gauntlet has been thrown down

Spoilers may follow

<

<

<

<

<

<

I have been looking over 'All or Nothing' after the issues I had with it when I played as the British. I examined the German forces and have come to the conclusion that for PBEM purposes this scenario is maybe 80 to 85 percent pro German if the British can't clear the minefield in front of the secondary bridge. One engineer platoon added to the initial OB for the British would reduce it to maybe 60 percent pro German. The only variables here being how effective the British artillery is and how lucky the British get with bogging. So here goes ... I am publicly announcing that I can't lose as the Germans in All or Nothing. Are there any intrepid souls out there that are willing to try to prove me wrong (and boast about it afterwards) in a PBEM match? Don't worry, I won't sweat it if you want to pack it in early ... just let me know when you have had enough.

If you are a crusty veteran who wants to teach this newby a few manners ... bring your A game and be humbled. If you are new to wargaming and love abuse, let me know and I will heap it upon you. If you haven't played the scenario before you will probably want to try it first - although playing it blind might actually be an advantage in this case. I will reveal no more! Let me know if you are interested.

[This message has been edited by ASL Veteran (edited 07-28-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ASL Veteran:

I have been looking over 'All or Nothing' after the issues I had with it when I played as the British. I examined the German forces and have come to the conclusion that for PBEM purposes this scenario is maybe 80 to 85 percent pro German if the British can't clear the minefield in front of the secondary bridge. One engineer platoon added to the initial OB for the British would reduce it to maybe 60 percent pro German. The only variables here being how effective the British artillery is and how lucky the British get with bogging. So here goes ... I am publicly announcing that I can't lose as the Germans in All or Nothing. Are there any intrepid souls out there that are willing to try to prove me wrong (and boast about it afterwards) in a PBEM match? Don't worry, I won't sweat it if you want to pack it in early ... just let me know when you have had enough.

If you are a crusty veteran who wants to teach this newby a few manners ... bring your A game and be humbled. If you are new to wargaming and love abuse, let me know and I will heap it upon you. If you haven't played the scenario before you will probably want to try it first - although playing it blind might actually be an advantage in this case. I will reveal no more! Let me know if you are interested.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure, I'm ready to be slapped around! Send your setup (1.03) to stakerw@home.com

I am currently at work, but will be ready to rumble tonight.

Wow, interesting.

I'm about 50, 55 turns into a pbem game of "all or nothing" as Brits and "think" I'm dominating. I expected you to say it was weighted in favor of the brits...

With such a strong defensive position though I can see how it could play entirely different than my game has gone.

Tell you what, after I finish playing it through, I'll drop you a note. If you're still interested we'll mix it up.

Er...guys, please warn of possible spoilers before posting scenario information. In fact, you can edit your current messages to do just that.

Also, this topic is more suited for the CM Scenario discussion folder.

Thanks,

Preacher

Yes, I would even take Kwazydog on in this - he would naturally be more difficult to defeat, but defeat him I believe I could. First things first though - I will e-mail hoosier treadhead. Darwin, you are on the list - e-mail me when you are done. Preacher, sorry I didn't put Spoiler on this - I didn't think my comments warranted a notification. I can't seem to find an edit button anywhere, otherwise I would oblige you.

Guest grunto

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Neutral Party:

ASL Veteran

I can assure you it is perfectly possible to lose this scenario as the Germans. I for one am well on my way to achieving this. Without discussing any specifics I would say that, if anything, it is biased in favor of the smelly brown horde.

Joe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and i would have to back up joe and say he's a good player... usually beats me... i did a nice flank move on him in a dyo/qb and knocked out a couple of pumas and maybe a platoon of infantry. it was a t8/m8(hmc and greyhound) swarm.

after the first early success i saw a german cross in the distance and it said (naturally, i thought later), 'tiger' so my remaining vehicles went into a two pronged flanking manuever. as i waited for the return mail i thought, 'what if there are pzks back there on its flanks?'

well there were no pzks but a 'tiger' turned out to be two panzer 4s and they shot up both pincers individually.

a brave bazookaman - sole survivor of his team at the time - got into some rubble near enough to one of the pz4s to knock it out. he died in a hail of small arms fire after that.

now joe's got a pz4 and some other assaulting infantry. his remaining pz4 just came within sight of my last remaining m8 hmc and has its gun trained upon the gun carrier.

yeah neutral party is a tough customer i would have to say.

by the way, that 'dual pincer waxing' must have been a thing of beauty for the german player (joe). as a matter of fact, during one of the turns where i lost 3 or 4 assorted m8s on one prong, i had the pz4 locked at view 2 so i saw it from behind its turret as it shot up all of those vehicles.

it was a weird, disastrous coincidence that i was sitting there watching from behind his side's pz4 turret, as i usually only watch these movies once or at the most twice and watch from level 4.

in any case that was certainly the only time i watched that movie from any angle!!

i wanted to get to the next turn and see if i could salvage the other prong. his other pz4 shot that one up as the american vehicles tried to continue forward. that wing was mostly composed of t8s as a couple of assorted m8s had already been lost on the previous turn(s).

at least that's the way i remember it. now we're duking it out with infantry and he's got the pz4 and i've got the immobile m8 hmc and they're about to exchange fire...

that's what i call 'dicey'

btw, darwin would probably be a good opponent too.

put me down for that challenge as well. i've never chosen british but would be willing to give it a shot.

i'm a crusty old sl/asl veteran myself, probably best-known for always trying to force the situation in combat mission.

...the need for speed... you as the opponent will have to maintain flank security in most situations... if this though is a river crossing it sounds like my troops will be funneled.

but i digress...

the '90s are over... let's rock dude!!

i'll send you a file (1.03)

andy

Guest KwazyDog

Hehe, sure, Ill give it a crack if you like ASL smile.gif I cant promise a win as battle involve luck as well as good planning but I will promise Ill put up a good fight. Ive only ever played in the range of 4-5 games ever as the allies so I imagine this will be a good learning experience.

Ive played this scenario many times but only as the Germans, and have indeed lost against a good player, believe me it isnt hard to do. In fact, Ill go as far to say that as the German player I got my butt kicked, and I put up a damn good defence smile.gif I had crews and bashed up troops all huddleing in the centre of the town which promptly got flamed, hehe. If anything I would say that this scenario is bias towards the brits to be honest.

Anyways, if you dont have enough chanllangers already email me at kwazydog@yahoo.com smile.gif

Oh, and the edit button is at the top of your post with a little pencil and paper looking icon.

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 07-28-2000).]

Oh, I have no doubt that the British force is a very powerful one ... especially in stand off fire power. I also have no doubt that the British can steamroll even a fairly good German defense plan. The trick as the German is to ... no, I will not reveal anymore wink.gif Okay, perhaps I was overly critical in my initial assessment. I will now say that it is 70% pro German - maybe 50/50 with a British engineer platoon replacing a regular platoon. However, I will still stick to my guns (literally in this case).

Okay Kwazydog, you are on. I will e-mail you when I get home. You too Grunto. That's it though .. I am now maxed out. Who knows, perhaps I will learn something too wink.gif

Guest KwazyDog

Look forward to it ASL smile.gif

It will be interesting to see another persons take on defending this one. It should be an interesting battle, probably a damn nasty one though.

Good Luck smile.gif