Tungston-core rounds...

How does the computer decide when to fire or what targets to fire tungston/ panzegranate-40 rounds at? Do they fire them first before AP rounds? Also wondering if in CM2 we will see the German 37mm ATG in use, as I believe this was the primary gun that the pzrg-40 was designed for.

------------------

I'm sorry, we haven't the

facilities to take all of you prisoner. Was there anything else?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red Devils:

How does the computer decide when to fire or what targets to fire tungston/ panzegranate-40 rounds at? Do they fire them first before AP rounds? .

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Repeat after me 'search is good, search is my friend. The manual is quite good as well.' (actually the manual is very good) http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/001359.html http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/007782.html

to give but a couple, found with a search on tungsten (note spelling!)

------------------

The conception of such a plan was impossible for a man of Montgomery's innate caution...In fact, Montgomery's decision to mount the operation ...[Market Garden] was as startling as it would have been for an elderly and saintly Bishop suddenly to decide to take up safe breaking and begin on the Bank of England. (R.W.Thompson, Montgomery the Field Marshall)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colin:

I swear they don't use tungsten at all!!!

At least not in my experience. Just bad luck I know but still...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have experienced the same problem...but acording to Sailor Moon it is all covered in the manuel or in this search engine, but I have yet to see a proper explanation.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Red Devils (edited 08-13-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sailor Malan:

Repeat after me 'search is good, search is my friend. The manual is quite good as well.' (actually the manual is very good) http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/001359.html http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/007782.html

tungsten (note spelling!)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"His Almighty says to quit changin' the subject and answer the *ucking question."

...Steven, the most wanted man on his island.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Red Devils (edited 08-13-2000).]

Guest KwazyDog

If I recall correctly a while back Charles also mentioned that tank crews will usually bracket a target with standard AP rounds before firing a valuable tungsten round.

Before I knew this I remember watching an M10 firing standard shells head on at a Panther instead of firing his tungsten rounds and was thinking to myself what the hell is he doing, hehe. It makes sense though...in general over longer ranges getting in a hit on the first or second or even third shots is unlikely, so why waste valuable ammo on these shots, especially when you usually have so few.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red Devils:

"His Almighty says to quit changin' the subject and answer the *ucking question."

...Steven, the most wanted man on his island.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I thought I had answered the question. The manual (p60) says ' The tank commander (read TacAI) is responsible for the choice of ammo, and will usually try to fire some regular rounds first to "bracket" the target, and only employ special ammo once a hit is likely to be achieved, and only when the standard type proves ineffective'

This is the most logical way to use special ammo (IMO), at long range early shots rarely hit, and if you use up your T, you are then stuffed. The other guy probably isn't hitting either on his early shots! (If he is, you should fire smoke and leave) smile.gif

------------------

The conception of such a plan was impossible for a man of Montgomery's innate caution...In fact, Montgomery's decision to mount the operation ...[Market Garden] was as startling as it would have been for an elderly and saintly Bishop suddenly to decide to take up safe breaking and begin on the Bank of England. (R.W.Thompson, Montgomery the Field Marshall)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sailor Malan:

Sorry, I thought I had answered the question. The manual (p60) says ' The tank commander (read TacAI) is responsible for the choice of ammo, and will usually try to fire some regular rounds first to "bracket" the target, and only employ special ammo once a hit is likely to be achieved, and only when the standard type proves ineffective'

This is the most logical way to use special ammo (IMO), at long range early shots rarely hit, and if you use up your T, you are then stuffed. The other guy probably isn't hitting either on his early shots! (If he is, you should fire smoke and leave) smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey I was just joshing ya Sailor. I saw that in the manuel but my tanks still keep dying w/out ever firing off any "c" rounds. I thought that maybe there was more to it. Thanks.

------------------

Would bracketing shots really work with different ammunition types?

The German Pzgr 40 has higher velocity and hence a flatter trajectory than the Pzgr 39. I don´t know much about allied guns but an APDS shot most likely has higher MV than a full calibre shot.

I had an opportunity to take a close look at a Stug III ausf. B a while ago and noticed that the sight has different scales for Pzgr 39, Pzgr 40 and HE.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kurtz:

Would bracketing shots really work with different ammunition types?

The German Pzgr 40 has higher velocity and hence a flatter trajectory than the Pzgr 39. I don´t know much about allied guns but an APDS shot most likely has higher MV than a full calibre shot.

I had an opportunity to take a close look at a Stug III ausf. B a while ago and noticed that the sight has different scales for Pzgr 39, Pzgr 40 and HE.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Tiger 1 could FFE up to 1200ms w/o bracketing, and to 2000ms with bracketing. The TigerII could FFE up to 2000ms w/o bracketing, with both tanks useing Pzgr.39/43.

Yes, German sights had range scales based on Ammunition type selected, Ie, the Panther's TzF12a sight was graduated, at 100ms intervals to 3000ms for Pzgr.39/42, 2000ms for Pzgr.40/42,& 4000ms for SprGr.42.

The Tiger II's TzF9d was graduated at 100ms intervals to 4000ms for Pzgr.39/43, & 6000ms for SprGr.43

Regards, John Waters

--------

"Go for the eyes Boo, go for the eyes!!".

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 08-17-2000).]