Thin Red Line is #1

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Well, I posted this link before, but in case anyone missed my favorite review of this film here it is...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I caught this the first time you posted it... I now have it bookmarked smile.gif That is the best review of the worst movie made this decade.

I haven't read the book, if I had I might not have liked the film.

But I haven't and I did. Ryan was little better, but only

for the excellent beginning. And the beginning had little to do with

the rest of the film (it had nothing to do with the plot).

Although I did have problems telling some soldiers apart, all

americans look the same smile.gif

Personally, I love long movies. In fact, I tend to gravitate toward the 'two-tapers' when in the rental store. I do this because I have found that movie length is - generally - directly proportional to character and plot development.

In TTRL, however, this is not the case. I can see no reason why this movie does most of the things it does. I agree wholeheartedly with what Bauhaus said earlier: It seems that TTRL was trying to be a modern Apocalypse Now. Or, more accurately, TTRL was trying to be what Apocalypse Now became. In other words, AN became a classic because it successfully (brilliantly) fused an unsurpassed psychological weirdness with robust development of some pretty complex characters. OTOH, TTRL failed, IMHO, to develop anything. It had plenty of weird, psychological stuff, but nothing else. Heck, Friday the 13th had plenty of weird psycho stuff, too.

In short, i think it is a poor movie. Great cinematography, but a poor movie to have to watch. Again, IMHO.

Preacher

Regarding the "War is a loss for everyman" message. I'm sure it is, but for almost everyone who survived WWII, and I'm sure other wars, it also becomes the single defining event in that persons life. My father is a combat vet from the Pacific in WWII and (he hated TTRL, by-the-way) I would say it's pretty obvious he considers it the biggest thing in his life. Larger than his subsequential financial successes, his marriage and his three sons. He still shines when he gets a call from an old buddy in ways which I just don't see at other times. In a deep conversation we had one night after I returned from bootcamp and asked him about combat he said: "Well, it's a lot like deer hunting...Where the deer shoot back".

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that once again Malik and co. are trying to portray all vets as weepy, whiny AWOL going losers, and not dedicated fellows who did what they had to do to get it over and just wanted to come home, which is what I think the temperament of the average GI really was in WWII and most likely every war since Og threw a rock at Gruk. Zamo, rambling incoherently.