Attention to Detail

Last night I noticed a detail that has thus far escaped me. My M-10 was climbing a small hill when I heard a change in the sound of its engine. The damn thing had bogged! Coincident with the bogging sound, the vehicle sank into the ground, half way up it's tracks. About 20 seconds later, during which there was continuous engine noise from the M-10, there came a whirring sound and the engine noise stopped. At the same time the information bar now showed it was now immobile. An amazing attention to detail, though one I would have liked to read about from my opponent!

Now wait a minute, you're a Member, and you have yet to experience a bogging? confused.gif

A Member since last year even? Have you been playing CM much?

I get a bogged vehicle at LEAST once a game when I play on anything other than a Dry map. I even had a tank Bog on a Dry map in a Scattered Trees tile.

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 11-14-2000).]

****ST LO SPOILER!!!

So this M10... did it eventually get killed since it may have gotten immobilized in a disadvantageous locale? Perhaps... on the Road to St. Lo?

On the other hand, I could be mistaking it for the poor vehicle lodged behind an impenetrable wall of smoke. Immobilized by chance?

[This message has been edited by -Havermeyer- (edited 11-14-2000).]

I dunno, I've played quite a few games in damp, wet, pouring down rain, etc., and have only bogged twice. Now, I dunno if this is programmed or not, I hope it is otherwise I'm playing a hunch on something that doesn't exist. But I keep the armor units away from low lying areas, keep them on the uphill, upslope, upgrades so to speak, or near roads. The lower level areas seem more prone to bogging.

Then too, I've heard that the unbogg isn't something programmed, and just happens by accident. Maybe, but both times I've bogged, I immediately halted the unit, put it in reverse directly back the same angle it went in (staying in its tread ruts so to speak), and both times the unit got out of the bogged condition. Once it took two turns, and in between I told it to halt again, and then restarted it. I wish I knew which of these were programmed and which were wishful thinking...

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

Guest Lord General MB

Sirs,

Just thought I make some note on boggs:

Yes I have seen the tanks seep into the mud, but I don't think I've ever heard the engine snap...

and of course, we al know how to get out of a bog: Reverse!

------------------

Cheers,

Lord General Mr. Bill,

1st Army

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> But I keep the armor units away from low lying areas, keep them on the uphill, upslope, upgrades so to speak, or near roads. The lower level areas seem more prone to bogging.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Terrain certainly has an effect. Roads are your friend smile.gif Also, check out the ground pressure rating of the vehicle as this matters. Something along 11 psi is "good" for an AFV, but most tanks are much more than that.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Then too, I've heard that the unbogg isn't something programmed, and just happens by accident.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any bogged vehicle, if it has a move order of ANY type, has a chance to become unbogged. But the type of move order issued has nothing to do with it. Think of it this way. The vehicle driver automatically does his own thing to get loose, then he starts doing whatever you order him to do. However, trying to become unstuck makes things worse smile.gif

Steve

Ah, word from the creators this is getting interesting. Let me see if I understand this correctly.

If you are bogged, you should do noting and let the vehicle do his own stuff. Giving a reverse order or any other order reduces the chance of getting unbogged?

Also you say: Terrain has an effect. That roads are good is obvious but does elevation have any influence?

I have read in other posts that the type of movement influences the chance of getting bogged. Most chance when moving fast then move and then hunt. Is this correct? and how about reverse? and what kind of chances are we talking about is move half the chance of bogging compared to fast move or 95% of fast move?

Maybe I do some test tonight to check out the chances of bogging down. Something like a circuit with tanks racing rounds until the get bogged smile.gif

Joeri

I had a similar event last night playing the Arnhem Operation. I had a puma knocked out on the end of the bridge entering Arnhem. I was having a hard time getting my Stug around it and into the city. Eventually, the crazy tank command just drove right over the Puma leaving it pancaked in the street. What an amazing game.

Hobo

I have had tanks bog down (and eventually become immobile) in low lying areas when the ground is wet, or muddy. I've also had one tank become immobile when it moved through a bocage. Became usless after that as he couldn't see anything.

------------------

It wasn't MY company..It was the Armys' or so they told me.

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

I have tried to put my vehicle in "Hide" mode for a turn or 2 and see if it can unbog by itself or for me to try again later, but even on hide mode it became immobilized?? I thought they became immobilized by trying to free itself and throwing a track or something not by sitting idling stationary with the engine idling.......

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Have to agree with Maximus first reply to you there HijackGMH, sorry but that detail I noticed in the first of about 30 times I played demo waiting for my full version copy in the mail. Personally though I just discovered something I never knew about though for Fighter-Bombers. You can hear the planes coming prior to the first turn they show...so you can hide your Armor or anything that is in the open. Also, I think a lot of CM gamers will agree, a real not-cool sound; when you're watching your tank and a artillery round smashes nearby and crrrrriiiicccc, immobile! I despise that tank tread sound (I mean I like it when it's my opponant but hate it when it's me.)

Johnno

Vist my website:

Dogs of War, CMBO online players club http://persweb.direct.ca/johnnocm/

"I like a man who grins when he fights."

- Prime Minister Winston Churchill