Stuck in Upgrade hell, help! :(

Hi there

Just stuck another 32mb of ram into my machine, (weird thing only has three ram slots frown.gif ) .. And took out my ati card and stuck in a brand new GeForce 2 card, hurah.

problem is, although it seems like all the drivers are in there for it, not a single game will run! All get to loading point and then crash, (quake even crashes saying 'glide2x.dll expected voodoo'..

going to try and upgrade glide and all that ****e i guess as well.. I dunno, driving me mad. Can't even play movies right now :/ .. and hte damn Elsa revelator 3d glasses don't work with it, despite the manual saying they would, (on my elsa gladiac geforce 2).

arg

ideas, or help?

icq 1249731

PeterNZ

You may want to go to your video cards manufacturer's web site and download the latest drivers.

Drivers out of the box that come with the card are often times already out of date by time you purchase the card.

Also, would probably be best to download and install DirectX 7.0 if you havn't already.

Mikester.

The problem that I had when upgrading my 3D board (I went from an 8mb Voodoo2 to a 32mb TNT2) was that, in order to get the new board to work, I had to remove all of the old drivers for the Voodoo2 as well as all references to them in the Windows Registry (and I downloaded the latest drivers).

Pretty involved stuff - I do not recommend messing with the registry unless you know your way around windows.

There are also Newsgroup resources (that's how I figured out what I needed to do) you may want to look into....

Good luck! smile.gif

you might have to...

Plug 'N' Play?

More like Plug 'N' Pray!

Btw - I was considering getting some 3d glasses (just for CM of course!).

How do they work? (i.e, good, bad - a more immersive game experience?).

Do they cause any problems after removing them (disorientation, etc)?

Thanks! smile.gif

PeterNZer - Are there any "uninstall" options for the Voodoo you had ? You may want to check out Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs control panel and check out the list there. There might be something regarding your Voodoo and/or GLIDE. Remove this software.

Another thing to do is to go to Control Panel > System control panel > Device Manager tab and double-click on Display Adapters (you may not have to double-click as it may already be "open"). Look in here to see if you have more than one video card listed. It is possible that your Voodoo card is still listed in here; in which case it will need to be deleted. To do this restart your computer and go into Safe Mode (by pressing and holding down the F8 key right before your computer starts to boot Windows - select option 3 which should be "Safe Mode"). Once you're in Safe Mode go back to the Device Manager and highlight your Voodoo card and click the Remove button. Hopefully, between removing this and any Voodoo associated software you should be able to run DirectX games with your new GeForce.

If this doesn't do it, then you're probably looking at editing the Registry, which isn't all that bad (but still quite dangerous). If it comes to this I can give you some instructions as to what to look for in your Registry.

DeanCo talked me through the simple task which i hadn't tried yet, of reinstalling the drivers. He kept me sane and now it all works!

Only thing is I have yet to be able to get the 3d glasses working. The manual for the geforce 2 says they work with it.. but the glasses don't mention the geforce 2 chip..

Ok, in an update, just found on the elsa site some new drivers. All is downloading. Might report back soon under a new topic.

[This message has been edited by PeterNZer (edited 08-14-2000).]

well crap

the elsa 3d glasses make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

you can't use the drivers on the disk because it says it doesn't recognise the vid card as supporting it.. and you can't download 3d glasses drivers since they only made them for other peoples geforce cards (!?!) but they do say they have the cab files in their latest geforce 2 drivers, which i have installed. Well what F**K'n use is that?! It still isn't intalled and won't install. argg!

PeterNZ

Pissed of with Elsa

Elsa are truely evil.

I found out how to install the glasses on DejaNews where some techhead posted, (the glasses and the rest of Elsa's kit are bassically not supported by elsa bar 'plug it in'.).

Unfortunately, although the glasses now work with the test JPG, the card as a whole doesn't work with anything, not even .mpg's or .avis

PeterNZ

Did you remove the old drivers? You should be able to do this from the Add/Remove program in the COntrol Panel.

I recommend the Detonator 3 drivers. I don't know where the best download is, but check http://www.reactorcritical.com.

I had too many problems with Asus' own drivers, and also the 5.32 NVidia reference drivers, which were supposed to be the best.

I use the Detonator 3 drivers, and they seem rock solid.

What motherboard are you using?

cheers

Mike

http://www.stodge.net/

don't really know what MB i have since I have got the case on and stuff.

I will try those detinator things.

people

DO NOT BUY FROM ELSA

I don't think I have ever come across a worse designed site or worse technical help pages and driver support than at elsa.

Their GeForce 2 cards ship with -two year old- drivers!

ARG

PeterNZ

here's what you do go an download a registry cleaner there free so don't sweat it delete your driver's an then sweep your registry it'll delete all invalid entries from your previous driver file's thier's other thing's you can do but that should get you up an running

well i'll buzz through with Norton System Works 2000 which is an ok program.

Um, well I install Nvidia's new drivers which look nice and all, but still no video play back or games running at all, it's really quite odd, because it was working for a while.

o well frown.gif

PeterNZ

Peter:

Did you have an ATI or Voodoo card?

I had both at various stages in past.

ATI card uninstalled cleanly, but old Voodoo was a real pain in the neck. Had to edit windows registry to get it working. Basically, you go in and delete every reference you can find to voodoo. You can find directions on net, I think a good site to check is www.voodoousers.com or something like that.

Hi, yes i did have a voodoo 1 AND an ATI Rage 2c. I whipped them both out and thought I had uninstalled them but apparently not.

anyway, I went and removed all references to 3dfx, glide and voodoo from the registry and then reinstalled my Gladiac drivers, used the bog-standard out of the box ones. And no go! No video playing, no game playing, (the no video playing really gets me, what's up with that?)

It's getting close to a format c: but.. I really have absolutely no idea how to format the drive and reinstall windows frown.gif *sigh* I dunno.

PeterNZ