Strange explosions...

I'm actually a PBEM Chance Encounter scenario (these scenario looks very easy but it's a very very interesting one with a lot opportunities...) On the video I check two explosions but I don't have any idea about their origin.

I have a stug in range(40/50 meters). Could it be this nahblabla close range weapon? I don't think so because there is only one US broken and wounded crew(3 men) near my Stug (at 25 meters). After asking my opponent I know it isn't from an US action. IMHO I think it could be the two first 81 mm shell of an arty request I've just canceled few seconds before. But if one of these explosions is very looking 81 mm, the other isn't. It seems this last shell didn't explose(It's more lookink like a AP round hit in the ground). Is it possible ?

IIHAIWIATA (If I have any Idea What I Am Talking About smile.gif ) the Nahtmlmkgdsgja;'kghw;lknbgungwaffe is definitely in the demo. I have been burned by it several times close assaulting tigers. (I think...) I'll try and find the movies where I think it fired.

- Bill

Guest Madmatt

The (ahem) nahverohgodhereitisagainandineverspellitrightgaffe IS in the demo... wink.gif

No need to look, but I believe that I have only ever seen the Tiger fire it (in the demo).

Madmatt tongue.gif

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

If i'm not mistaken the vgasdsmldfksafmsnfkl is actually called Nahverteidigungswaffe. An actual translation would be "after-defense-weapon" or "naverdedigingswapen" if you like to know the ducth version smile.gif

As far as i know it was only used by Tigers (actual translation: Tiger smile.gif ).

I have to see it happen in the beta, usually the enemy doesn't come close enough for me to use it smile.gif

PanzerShark

The nahberblaster is definitely in the beta demo and fired smoke to mask a STuG in one of my games vs. the AI.

The "nah" actually comes from "nearby", I believe. Like "in die naehe" meaning "in the neighborhood of", "close by".

[This message has been edited by Mark IV (edited 02-10-2000).]

Mark IV has nailed it. (except for the actual name off course which only intelligent dutchmen like panzershark and me can spell tight wink.gif ).

The Nahverteidigungswaffe was used as a smoke projector and close defence weapon for German AFV's.

I believe it was introduced after the Germans had bad experiences with turret-side mounted smoke projectors (Nebelwurfgeraet). They tended to be set off by small arms fire and the resulting smoke tended to be sucked into the tank by it's own ventilators resulting in the temporary incapacitation of the crew members.

For close defence it is said to launch S-minen and / or wurfgranaten. (i've read contradicting statements about this).

Grtz S Bakker

(behind his trusty old laptop)

Nah...in die Naehe...whatever, i have never seen it anyway smile.gif

But seriously, you're right about the translation. I always mix "nach" and "in die nahe". Btw...it is "in die nahe" right (without the "e")?

Bakker a dutchman? Should have known smile.gif

I like the way you tell them about "us intelligent dutchmen", shame you end with the words "old laptop"...ruins the mood a bit smile.gif There fore i shall end in style.

PanzerShark

(behind his pIII 600, 256mb ram, 20gb hd, TNT2 ultra..ooh and a intelli-mouse too smile.gif...how's that then smile.gif

Guest Kettle Black

About stuff blowing up: I'm playing Chance Encounter now (as US) and although conditions are supposedly damp a portion of the wooded ridge turned ablaze just now. I had a Sherman firing at a nearby area (blind fire) but the movie show no shell hitting the area which started to burn. As I measure it, the round (actually every round, I checked in case there is a "delay" with the fire) hits approx 30 meters away and on the edge of the trees. The fire doesn't touch the area the shell hit either, its approx 20 meters away from the treeline and into the woods.

This is not a complaint, just wondering whether the trajectory of the shell shown is equal to the "actual" trajectory that is computed or not?

Or do I just need to get a life and move along?=)

Kettle Black

After viewing several times my video, I found the origin of these two explosions biggrin.gif.

I don't think smoke mortar on tanks and the close defense weapon system are the same thing firing different ammo.I think it's two different stuff but I'm may be wrong...

Somebody know if dud ammo exist in CM ?

PZShark: Well, I'm at work, but I think it would be Naehe, which is an accepted English way of simulating the umlaut which really belongs there, which in turn I have not figured out on my xenophobic keyboard.

Often this weapon is confused with the Nachbarscheissigungswerfer, a device for hurling feces at your neighbors.

Devils, those Boche. smile.gif

Late Breaking News!!! "in der Nähe", according to the Go Translator thing. So my grammar sucks. Look at my umlaut, flying in the breeze!

[This message has been edited by Mark IV (edited 02-10-2000).]

PanzerShark:

The correct spelling is "Nähe" or "Naehe" if you can't figure out how to produce the Umlaut.

Mark IV:

Remark on the grammar issue:

"in der Nähe" is used when you are near something

"in die Nähe" is used when you move to a place near something

Nobody said the German language was easy wink.gif

Dschugaschwili

Nah, that indicates an actual metallurgical flaw in the creation of the 76mm shells (I kid you not).

Seemingly Charles went into this in great detail once when Steve asked about all the 76s which were shattering on the Tiger's front plate wink.gif.

Don't get me started on Charles and high-end ballisticy physics wink.gif