Feature request

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jackson44dday:

Hit ESC, it minimizes the screen.

Jack

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe it is a w2k thing then, but when the computer player is calculating it's moves, and the processing is being done, it will not minimise, and ALT-TAB'ing will not force it into the background. Anyone else have this experience with single player mode?

Snuffles

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

jackson, I thought the same thing you did, but I noticed last night that you can't minimize with ESC while the computer is thinking during a game against the AI. Some of the larger battles do take a long time to compute, even on a fast computer.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reply Ryan smile.gif I have found myself shying away from larger battle due to this and it would be very useful to people like myself who do several things at once on their computer. Any word from BTS? (when yuo back from xmas holidays off course)

Snuffles

Guest Madmatt

We don't want you do other things on your computer while it's thinking. THATS WHY IT'S THINKING! ;)

CM needs control of the CPU and Floating Point Math units during this phase, if we start letting your cpu multitask during this time you will exponetially increase the time it takes to render a turn. As such I doubt it something we will do at least with the existing engine.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-28-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

We don't want you do other things on your computer while it's thinking. THATS WHY IT'S THINKING! ;)

CM needs control of the CPU and Floating Point Math units during this phase, if we start letting your cpu multitask during this time you will exponetially increase the time it takes to render a turn. As such I doubt it something we will do at least with the existing engine.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-28-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How is the rendering a turn for single player that much different for tcp/ip multiplayer? In multiplayer, the ability is there now. While the data is being calculated or downloaded, I can switch over to icq/irc, web browsing, coding/compiling or whatever else I am doing at the same time. With single player though, when it is calclating, I can't. If I want the fastest possible rendering cycle for my turn, that should be my decision to not minimise the program and let it calculate in the background.

Snuffles

Areyou hosting the game? Just a thought.

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Snuffleupagas:

How is the rendering a turn for single player that much different for tcp/ip multiplayer? In multiplayer, the ability is there now. While the data is being calculated or downloaded, I can switch over to icq/irc, web browsing, coding/compiling or whatever else I am doing at the same time. With single player though, when it is calclating, I can't. If I want the fastest possible rendering cycle for my turn, that should be my decision to not minimise the program and let it calculate in the background.

Snuffles

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any further comment on this BTS?

Snuffles

Guest Madmatt

The answer is the same as before.

"The ability in tcp/ip multiplayer currently exists whether I am hosting or I am the client."

No, you are wrong. You can only task switch once the game data is being transmitted (red bar) NOT when it is rendering the turn(blue bar).

Madmatt