French postwar use of Panthers

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt Canuck:

Where did you get that info from, I'm interested....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your asking me I got it from a book called Armerd fighting vehicals.

Guest Michael emrys

I have no idea about the French actually using Panthers in service, but it is entirely possible that they studied them prior to designing their own post war tanks. ISTR them producing a modified version of the Panther gun.

P.S. I have this impression that there were some T-34/85s and SU 100s in Egypt possibly as late as the Yom Kippur war.

Michael

I once remember reading ( and because i can't remember where i am going nuts ) that the French sent one Panther to Indo-China for trials and possible combat upon hearing rumors that the Viet-Minh had "aquired" some heavy ex Soviet tanks....sorry if this is making this thread a bit muddy , just throwing in my pennies worth.

As for other "user's' the British built at least one Panther in 1946 from spare parts found in over-run factories which they used in comparision trials against the Black Prince and Centurion tank.

The British 823rd Armoured Troops Workshop REME in Germany 1945 also "built" at least 2 late production Jagdpanthers for trials and evaluation purposes.

Hope this might open up this interesting thread a bit more. smile.gif

Regards

Måkjager

now where is that damn book frown.gif

------------------

Once an Ubërcabbage

Always an Ubërcabbage