Brit mmg carriers

Have you used these vehicles much? I have found them to be quite fragile and certainly don't seem to be significant difference makers. Their cost seems about right. I haven't tried overwhelming an enemy with huge numbers, as you suggest, however. So my opinion could be subject to change.

------------------

"Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you. Take it easy, Dude." -- The Stranger

The Dude abides.

Trust me when some1 runs 20 mmg carriers at u... u will not be laughing. And if they lose them all its only 180 points. They will have scouted out all of your troops positions and most likely done a lot more than 180 pts of damage to you. Not good.

Selecting 20+ machine gun carriers (or 20+ units in most scenarios) is just gamey. Since BTS can't prevent everybody from using gamey tactics, my advice would simply be register a complaint with the person using the gamey tactic and never play him again.

------------------

Formerly known as not THE Charles from BTS

Hey wink.gif

There seems to be some exaggeration with my love of the MMG carriers. First of all Richard, I didn't tell you this because of FOW issues, but I have 6 carriers, not 20. (well, fewer now, damn Gun). Carriers are easily chewed up by any gun 20mm or bigger. They are only survivable in a large groups (3+) and even then things can go wrong (as you've seen on your left flank).

I will admit, I enjoy using small vehical tactics. And yes, small vehicles are cheap, and therefore you can afford a good deal of them.

I would not go as far as to say this is gamey though. in your game I have 2 recon platoons (as I call them) of 3 mmg carriers, 1 diamler and 1 wasp each. This is a legit assault force that I use for forward attack and recon purposes.

Also, because I will admit that the MMG carrier is way to cheap, the point total for my attack I intentionally kept 50-100 points below my max (to make up for the fact that the mmg carrier price is going to rise).

I believe that my tactic, while unconventional, is far from Gamey. Its just very rough if you don't expect it wink.gif

-EridanMan

Just another clarification

there are three vehicle being confused here.

mmg carrier - 360 vickers mg, light armor - is 9 points, should be 20 (same price as 50cal jeep)

Humbler SC - forward firing brenning MG and no armor - is 9 points, should be like 15 (weak as balls and little/no firepower, just a scout)

Daimler AC - turreted 40mm gun & vickers MG - is 62 points, that's plenty thank you. Medium armor, good tank killer, but easily killed.

-Scott

I have 5 games on the go. That 20 was in reference to a ladder game not our game where u only have relatively small amount of 7-8? mmgs and 2 scout cars? by my count.

My main bitch was in the tactic that every1 seems to use of simply rushing then forward in a line, knowing most will get poped but not caring becuse they r so cheap. Doing this forces the other player to "show his hand" so to speak my unhiding all AT's, tanks etc to knck out as many of these "pests" as possable to stop from being overwelmed.

Now I agree scout cars are for scouting... but driving them headlong into a known enemy position en-mass, over open ground seems a little unrealistic and some would say (not me of course smile.gif ) - gamey.

I have (yet) another game going with Jumo who just knocked out my left flank with a T8 scout car in wot i would call an excellent flank/scout move. This is more of wot I expect scout cars to be doing.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KiwiJoe:

I have (yet) another game going with Jumo who just knocked out my left flank with a T8 scout car in wot i would call an excellent flank/scout move. This is more of wot I expect scout cars to be doing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for these kind words smile.gif

I'll say, I really laughed out loud when I saw that film.

My scout came full speed across the corner and crashed

headfirst into his AC's. Then, while frantically

trying to get away, KO'd them both with his .50. biggrin.gif

Oh, but I don't feel most of 'em are underpriced. They are fragile and most have very limited amounts of ammo.

If they were about 40 points, they'd be totally worthless.

Rather, I feel that jeep, truck and few others are slightly overpriced. But that's just my opinion, and only after about a week of playing.

Select the gun and tell it to move onto the prime mover, just like you'd do for infantry. The path label should change to 'Embark' and the gun crew will roll their gun towards the carrier. Once they get there, they'll hitch up the rear of the gun and then it's time to move out. One of the niftier effects of Combat Mission, IMHO.

Dan

Just a thought.

Have you considered that every time someone post about something being ridiculously cheap compared to its efficiency (or its gamey use BTW) BTS is patching it up for the 1.03?

What is it you want?

A 700Pts Swiss Army knife?

Boy, more expensive every thing...

Why don't you try to get to know the people you play with and agree beforehand on some TOE?

You're right, being overwhelmed by Hummers, Pumas, T8s, Puppchens and all is both GAMEY and bloody frustrating.

But having the cost upped won't discourage those players to PBEM you with ahistorical forces and then brag about their victory...

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

Guest Scott Clinton

PawBroom:

I disagree with your last post. The reason in having a point system in the first place is an attempt to accuratly value units on the battlefeild.

If the points can be adjusted to make them more accurate, then they should be adjusted. All it does is make the game MORE realistic.

BTS has stated numerous times that this sort of 'issue' is NOT carved in stone. If anyone can point out where it is flawed, and if a fix can be made, they will make it ASAP.

As for MMG carriers themselves...I don't know. Never played with more than one in a battle yet. wink.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

I'm not conivinced these need tweaking - I use them and find them very vulnerable; gamey tactics are EXTREMELY risky with any of the smaller vehicles. I have seenthem taken out just trying to dart from cover to cover, by small arms fire. these units will not fire after losing a man - I have seen this happen repetitively. Making the cost anything more than SLIGHTLY higher will just render them useless IMO

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

Your kiding panzerleader? where is the risk... 10 of them cost a mere 90pts. If u lose them all in 2-3 its no big deal and they will almost always destroy at least 90pts of units before they die. Even if they die without killing a single unit they will have scouted out most of the enemy locations which is totally worth the cost in itself. if u want to look at it like that its almost like turning fow off for a cost of 90pts.

I'm not kidding at all; I find them relatively useless - I buy a few of the 9 ptrs because sometimes they can bridge the gap . Trying to attack advance with them to gain any major result isnt that effective int he majority of cases. If ive spent 90 pts on those silly things then that is that much less I have to spend on credible material. There are other things the points are better spent on regardless of how little they cost. And just because a player has scouted the enemy positions doesnt necessarily give him a huge edge - he still has to have bought wisely enough to defeat what hes scouted, he also must be be good enuff to pull it off smile.gif

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Formerly Babra:

What we have here are two camps. There's the attrition unit camp who feel that any cheap unit is expendible, and the leadership camp who want to keep their men alive to fight another day.

If I'm in an MMG Carrier, I hope I'm serving under the latter.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think a little point tweaking with these might be in order, but not way high. If you have them in a situation where they feel well supported and not very threatened, they can do considerable damage to infantry, as well as being great for scouting. However, at the least threat they tend to scurry away like frightened cockroaches, and it's very difficult to get them to stay on an assault. And, of course, they are very fragile...what mainly saves them is their speed, they move around like bats out of the Abyss.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

Guest Scott Clinton

Well....

KiwiJoe, SS_Panzerleader:

Why don't you guys play a game with the new patch due out?

Let us know how it turns out? biggrin.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.