OT: My new Tank, and a Grog question

Ok, because I'm too lazy to look up how to post pics, first go here: http://home.att.net/~ronin115/Tank.jpg

EDIT: OR SEE PIC POSTED BELOW BY MAXIMUS!

You'll see pics of my new tank.

What a sweet X-Mas present.

Next, notice the guy operating the machine gun. How exactly WOULD someone stand to operate that thing? Standing in the hatch seems an impossibility. Is this simply because of the toys scaling?

LASTLY, what the heck is that thing behind the gunners legs? It's a "hatch" that opens on the toy to reveal... nothing below. I simply have it open because he stands better that way.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 12-29-2000).]

Very nice. I got the Sherman and Panther for Christmas. Both "toys" are very detailed. Not sure about the sherman hatch--maybe storage or access to the engine. The panther has the engine compartment accessible (with no engine of course). It also has an operating rear turret door in back--pretty neat. I've already started adding a little of my own detailing to them.

Oh yeah, they have a Stuart tank out for the 12" figures--wow!!

Check out this site for some nice pics. http://www.users.qwest.net/~challagan/XDMain.htm

------------------

Land Soft, Kill Quiet

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

...notice the guy operating the machine gun. How exactly WOULD someone stand to operate that thing? Standing in the hatch seems an impossibility.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The .50 was originally intended as an AA gun. As such, it could be more or less pointed by the tank commander from his hatch. As long as the plane was coming from the right direction, that is. Pretty awkward, I would think.

I've seen photos of it being used against ground targets with the TC kneeling behind the turret in order to aim it. I think some tank crews may have simply rewelded the mount to a more forward position on the turret, allowing it to be fired against ground targets without the TC leaving his hatch.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>LASTLY, what the heck is that thing behind the gunners legs? It's a "hatch" that opens on the toy to reveal... nothing below.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would suppose that it's an engine access hatch.

Nice looking model, BTW.

Michael

Thanks! The AA thing makes sense, as the "toys" can be placed in the turret with the gun in a upward firing position.

Another cool thing about these toys, is that nearly EVERY piece of equipment on the tank can be removed... all the backpacks, the gas cans, the shovel, hammer, spare treads and wheels, etc...

You just have to be careful the first time, and not pry anything too hard, or ... SNAP!

I'm thinking of purchasing the Kublewagen next.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 12-30-2000).]

There is a stand for the TC to stand on while in the tank, allowing him to fire at ground targets while in the tank. (Not very WELL, but it CAN be done. wink.gif )

(Basically, he fires it in the same position he's in while observing the scenary around him)

My friends, dammit, make your own models! smile.gifModel building = <UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Somewhat challenging

<LI>Great way to improve hand-eye coordination

<LI>Calming

<LI>Great source of achievement when completed

Ummm... Ok, I'm done pimping my hobby now. biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by I/O Error (edited 12-30-2000).]

Mr Clark, I have the same toy and found it very accurate. The .50 cal is in the correct position and the door you speak of is an engine access door on real vehicles. To understand the .50 placement you need to understand US tank doctrine for the period. Mainly, it's an infantry support weapon. As such the .50 was mainly for infantry riding the tank. This also explains the relative small size of US turrets as compared to the overall size of the tank. You gotta give the infantry somewhere to ride.

USTANKER, glad to hear from you!

So, from what you just said, can I assume that the figure standing behind the turret and manning the machine gun would/could be ONE of the accurate ways the gun was used?

I/O - I think if I stuck a figure in the turret, the gun would be able to point down with very limited arc, or up w/ very limited arc. I assume the same was true when used by the TC while standing in the turret?

Basically, it's a nice big machine gun placed in a rather poor position?

(I guess I gotta close that hatch, as from what everyone says, he would be spilling down into the engine the way I have the machine gunner standing.)

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

I/O - I think if I stuck a figure in the turret, the gun would be able to point down with very limited arc, or up w/ very limited arc. I assume the same was true when used by the TC while standing in the turret?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The TC had a lot of options in terms of positioning himself in most tanks.

1. He could sit on his seat with his hatch buttoned.

2. He could squat on his seat with his head out the open hatch (chin defilade).

3. He could stand on his seat with his head and torso out the open hatch (waist defilade).

In the latter position he (theoretically) could fire the AAMG at aircraft.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Basically, it's a nice big machine gun placed in a rather poor position?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not for its intended purpose (AA defense). In the event, the US usually had air superiority so AA defense wasn't necessary. As I posted earlier, some crews moved the MG mount to make it easier to use against ground targets.

Michael

Is it just me, or are the 21stCent figures really hard to get posed? They can't grip their rifles correctly, especially for anything like firing from the shoulder or from prone. And don't get me started on the legs, which are very good for simulating Joe Theismann-like broken legs, but hopeless for simple things like kneeling... Give me a GI Joe with swivel-arm battle grip any day...

I think the figures are actually very poseable. My biggest problem w/ them is that you have to snap loose all the stuck joints the first time you move em... which occasionally leads to breakage.

As for posing, I have my Alied troopers in realistic walking/hunting poses ahead of my tank, and I have a German half squad posed realistically as though sneaking through brush.