Attending Live Fire Exercises

Guest Pillar

Is there a way for civilians to get permission to attend live fire exercises?

I'd like to drive down to the US (from CAN) to actually witness a 150mm arty barrage and a Tank excercise with live fire.

Someone posted a while ago about being in an artillery-proof bunker and having the army shell the thing. Call me crazy, but that sounds like fun.

it is very possible. my wwii history prof managed to get my class onto a national guard base where they watched m1a1's fire at stuff.

i (of course), had a lot of hw from other classes and i had to forego the trip frown.gif)

u probably just have to ask the closest base to you that has actual live fire training.

as for being in a bunker while it's being shelled fun, yeah it sounds crazy as wink.gif. but it's probably safer than my predilection to crossing the street at the dont walk sign.

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Once a year, (Around August I believe), Ft Bragg hosts an open house and the 82d Airborne Division Association convention is held. Part of it is a Division review and they also have a live Fire Exercise out at OP5 which I believe is open to the public. This includes airstrikes, a battalion-sized parachute assault rolling into a live fire exercise with Arty, small arms, mortars, tanks and whatnot. Search the net for the 82d Airborne Division Association and look for info.

Los

[This message has been edited by Los (edited 10-27-2000).]

I don’t know how much help this will be since I don’t have specific dates but when I was in High School (mid 80's) I ran a track meet at West Point. We got to see some live fire exercises.

I’m sure if you contact West Point here in New York, they can tell you if the opportunity still exists.

By the way… my ears were ringing for two days smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Los:

Once a year, (Around August I believe), Ft Bragg hosts an open house and the 82d Airborne Division Association convention is held. Part of it is a Division review and they also have a live Fire Exercise out at OP5 which I believe is open to the public<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

august? it's every august and you tell us NOW?! TEN MONTHS to the next one?!

AAARGH! can't...take...it...that...long

;)

At Ft Knox, KY. on the last monday in July and the 3 following mondays hosts an open to the public CALFEX (Combined Arms Live Fire Exercise). It is about 2 hours long and demonstrates every weapon in the Army inventory individually, and then as part of a Company Team in the defense/counterattack. I get a chubby every time I see the CALFEX. My in-laws were blown away by it, as were all the other people that came to watch.

Put it in your calendar and make a vacation of it, you will not be disappointed.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elementalwarre:

august? it's every august and you tell us NOW?! TEN MONTHS to the next one?!

AAARGH! can't...take...it...that...long

wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You can always go to the Knob Creek Machinegun Shoot. It is the Nation's largest civilian event of its type. It is held at Knob Creek Range, just outside Fort Knox, KY. It is this weekend. Do a search on Yahoo for more info.

I just wandered down to the local National Guard tank unit shooting away one day, I had been told about it by one of the company commanders after I had expressed an interest.

The British go the whole hog. Down near Bovington there's a live-fire range and they even have "spotters' guides" on stands, like you would see at bird sanctuaries.

(I still think Challenger and Challenger 2 are more impressive than Abrams in real life)

NTM

------------------

The difference between infantrymen and cavalrymen is that cavalrymen get to die faster, for we ride into battle!

The US Army used to have a combined arms ex during ROTC camp (I saw it at Ft Bragg during "super summer '74")....and it was open to the public.

plus as Blackhorse and other have posted....most training bases and Ft Bragg do this every now n then as PR...

[This message has been edited by pathfinder (edited 10-27-2000).]