Learning about King Tigers the hard way....

Well, I'm playing a PBEM with the great Paderborn Scenario.

We both played it double blind not knowing what the map was about or what kind of stuff we had on it.

Take a look at the following picture. There's about 20 seconds left in the turn. I hear a tank rumbling from my right, so I figure I'll send two jacksons, and two shermans to go put the SMACK down on what ever rolls out from the brush....

You fill in the rest....

shertig.jpg

how come no one told me that nothing can kill a tiger head on? How the &*&$ did we win WW2 if the Nazi's had tanks like these?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sparky9292:

How the &*&$ did we win WW2 if the Nazi's had tanks like these?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the germans didn't have that many of them (less than 100?), and they where desperatly short on fuel. IIRC some KT simply where abandoned after runing out of fuel.

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason why, our's is but to do and die!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hawk:

Well, the germans didn't have that many of them (less than 100?), and they where desperatly short on fuel. IIRC some KT simply where abandoned after runing out of fuel.

Hawk

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is true, exept there were actually 492 IIRC.

Most of them were either taken out by airstrikes or were abandoned after running out of fuel or suffering a mechanical breakdown (something the KT was prone to).

BTW Sparky, you had the right idea, but you need to space your tanks out more, perhaps into 2 teams of 2 each. That way one team can engage from the front while the other hits it on the side, instead of all frontally.

------------------

So maybe you should listen to this Vanir guy instead of ignoring him -- he has the best take on the whole thing. - Combatboy

[This message has been edited by Vanir (edited 09-29-2000).]

17 pounder with (T) rounds will punch a hole straight threw the front of that bad-boy. (Penetreates 239mm @ 1000m).

Even the standard Yanky 76mm with (T) will knock it out closer up (penetrates 206 @ 500m).

The 90mm on the Super-Perushing has a small chance if it can get really close with standard AP.. but with (T)... well 275mm @1000 metres speaks for itself.

In short tungsten is your only real chance head on. But really, you wouldnt eva want to go head on with this beast. It only has 80mm on it's flanks so thats the place to strike with ya tanks... even a Sherman 75mm can deal with that. Becuase its big and hellishly slow, heavy artillery can do a real number on it. 155mm can hurt it bad, great chance at immoblizing it if the strike is on target.

Think outside the box - or some ****. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanir:

This is true, exept there were actually 492 IIRC<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right. What was I thinking about....? Stormtigers??? Those nice little fellas with a 300mm rocketlauncher. Oh well!

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason why, our's is but to do and die!

Thats a great scenario. I played as allied first time (only versus AI, I shudder to think of how hard it would be vs human-controlled King Tigers!) and tried tactics I read in another post...namely, to always drive your Shermans around at fast speed and go for flank shots, avoiding the slow turrets of the German vehicles. Wow, it worked great. I had (no joke) one M4 kill 3 King Tigers, and another killed 2. Unfortunately both were later carbonised, but it was fun while it lasted...

how come no one told me that nothing can kill a tiger head on? How the &*&$ did we win WW2 if the Nazi's had tanks like these?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

played this baby blind vs the AI (got kicked as the Allies) but I actually took out a KT with a greyhound, frontally. I couldn't believe it. Had to replay it several times just to make sure I saw it right. Very cool, but did me no good in the long run as it and the rest of my armour were smoking wrecks shortly thereafter.

regards

------------------

What you see depends mainly upon what you look for.

Well, I'm playing a PBEM with the great Paderborn Scenario.

We both played it double blind not knowing what the map was about or what kind of stuff we had on it.

Take a look at the following picture. There's about 20 seconds left in the turn. I hear a tank rumbling from my right, so I figure I'll send two jacksons, and two shermans to go put the SMACK down on what ever rolls out from the brush....

You fill in the rest....

shertig.jpg

how come no one told me that nothing can kill a tiger head on? How the &*&$ did we win WW2 if the Nazi's had tanks like these?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well we Had totall air supiriority so that helped.

Hey Sparky,

Please edit your post to delete the reference to the name of the scenario you were playing - some people haven't played that one yet, and it ruins the ability to use it as a double blind PBEM in the future for them.

It is a fun scenario, though, isn't it!

------------------

CrapGame