Dug in Tanks

Guest Pillar

In scenarios where digging in tanks is allowed you can do so during the setup phase. Simply select the tank and hit "I" on the keyboard (I think this is the key -check the appendix of your manual that details the various commands). Note that dug-in tanks are immobile for the duration of the scenario.

MacAuliffe said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>testing revealed that AI never used this tactic.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't blame it. I never use it either. Why deprive your tanks of mobility when the 3D map allows you to find hull down positions all over? Which is all digging in appears to do for you.

I don't like how dug-in tanks can't ever leave the hole. That makes no sense. There has to be a ramp down into the hole for the tank to get into it in the first place. Therefore, it should be able to back out again whenever it wants to.

True, the Germans did have special concrete blocks to which they could bolt a regular tank turret and thus create what's in CM--an immobile tank turret. But IMHO it would be better to model this as a type of fortification/pillbox, because Germans also dug holes their whole tanks could get in and out of, as did other nations.

------------------

-Bullethead

Want a naval sim? Check out Raider Operations at www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by McAuliffe:

I am just wondering if the AI uses this feature playing the defensive role. I used the option in one of my scenarios, but testing revealed that AI never used this tactic.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haven't seen it yet, but just wanted to say cool page. NUTS!

------------------

What you see depends mainly upon what you look for.