Purchasing understrength Companies/Battalions

Did a search and didn't see anything on this, so here goes...

I'd like to be able to purchase larger units like companies and battalions and delete specific units from them. I do prefer sticking to "realistic" OOBs in battles, but in my QBs I have yet to play as the Americans because their infantry companies (the standard amount of infantry I use) have so many support weapons.

Sure, I can work around that and buy 3 rifle platoons, but that doesn't provide a Company CO who can fill in if I lose a Platoon CO. I only ever play as Germans or Brits simply because they have relatively "no frills" Companies that I can afford and still put in a few support weapons.

This seems like a fairly simple request... any comments?

------------------

“Out in front every one is holding out. Every one. My grenadiers and my engineers and my tank crews – they’re all holding their ground. Not a single man is leaving his post. They are lying silent in their foxholes for they are dead.” – Gen. Fritz Bayerlein on an order to hold his position

Intel - As a fairly newcomer to CM I wasn't aware that 1.3 had that ability. I think I only played a few games before 1.4 and 1.5 came out, and was still letting the AI choose forces for me.

Do you know why this was taken out?

------------------

“Out in front every one is holding out. Every one. My grenadiers and my engineers and my tank crews – they’re all holding their ground. Not a single man is leaving his post. They are lying silent in their foxholes for they are dead.” – Gen. Fritz Bayerlein on an order to hold his position

Hey Intel, splain? Not sure I understand exactly what you mean, and I sort of share Daveman's sentiments. My store bought copy of CM was v1.03, then I downloaded v1.05, and overwrote the v1.03 exec file. But have the same problem he has cited.

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

"I'd like to be able to purchase larger units like companies and battalions and delete specific units from them. I do prefer sticking to "realistic" OOBs in battles, but in my QBs I have yet to play as the Americans

because their infantry companies (the standard amount of infantry I use) have so many support weapons."

Right now if you purchase say a rifle company you can go in and delete a platoon, wpns team, or a squad by highlighting the unit and selecting remove.

Los

Actually guys that functionality WASN'T taken out of QB's. It was never in to begin with! Even with 1.01 you were not allowed to modify/delete individual components of a larger force (i.e. remove a MG team from a US Company)in Quick Battles. That is something that is to be looked at in the future.

This capability is still available when you design your own battles in the editor though, which is what LOS above refers to.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 09-25-2000).]

Matt - Thanks for the reply! I hope you guys will really consider this. I shouldn't think it would be that hard to do.

------------------

We are strongly lobbying for this and other modifying capabilities for infantry units, weapon choices, # of men in unit, solo squads without a platoon hq, being able to form your own company by choices,etc.

Believe me, some of us on the beta team are urging the honchos that this be included.

And some other good stuff too.

The Pacific as a module (ARGH! Not again frown.gif )

Objectives, reinforcements, and other changes in operations and a host of other ideas we think would improve the game.

Of course, certain units can be deleted from a company and then other units added in. You just need to play around with the editor to see really what you can do.

The "Edit" and "Delete" button can do some of this even now.

Wild Bill

Wild Bill

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Oje! I have to say that I do not like to see this feature in QB. You will the always purchase a battalion, delete the units you don't like to have end up with a company sized force with much cheaper support units and additional HQ units.

Isn't this " cherry picking"?

In the editor, when you create your own scenarios, it is ok ( and I like to see the features mentioned before) but not in QB.

I think Schugger pointed out the only problem with the ability to prune in QB's. Not nesecarily the cherry picking (I don't like it in general but you can put together whatever force you want if you bought the game...) but the abuse of lower prices for battalions. However, it is definately needed in some form or another. In a 2000 point QB a regular glider company is way out of the price range. It's not the glider teams that put it over, its the 350+ points in support. If you could prune out all those 3-man medium machine guns and whatnot it would make the Americans a much more playable option. As it is American numbers rarely seem to show up on the battle feild because they have so many toys foisted upon you. There's a similar problem with the brits and 2-inch mortars. I'd much rather bring along an AT gun or FO than a bunch of these dormice but they're forced into the unit. Maybe only the ability to remove a certain percentage or only support? I can't really think of any way for the abuses possible to be circumvented right now but anyone who plays the allies would probably agree that this would be a nice patch.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maj. Bosco:

There's a similar problem with the brits and 2-inch mortars. I'd much rather bring along an AT gun or FO than a bunch of these dormice but they're forced into the unit<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Going slightly off-topic, but I've found those little mortars to be quite effective. I group them into a tiny battery, usually under my Company CO. Combined, 3 of those can put down a nice smattering of firepower or smoke real quick.

------------------

I've also found them pretty handy for taking out open top halftracks at fairly close to medium range.

My understanding is that the 2" was a fairly standard mini support for British platoons and that's why they're fixed in the Platoon OOBs. It was light and quickly set up, if you think about it having local light mortar support on immediately call at platoon level is a pretty useful asset. A few old vets I know (including my old man for one, used them in jungle fighting during the Indonesian Confrontation in the 60's)still swear by them.

IPA

------------------

"Surrender? Tell them to go to hell."