Newbie/lurker questions

Doctor

I've been reading this board for a couple months now, and haven't seen these two things mentioned before, so here goes.

On a couple of occasions in thick fog, my infantry will target an enemy unit, but there is no image of the unit being shown. It says "Infantry Sounds? 10m" or something close to that. The red line extends from my men to a empty space on the map. Is this normal?

Also, in fog my men tend to run at and over enemy foxholes that suddenly appear in view. Shouldn't they really stop running once they see them rather than assume that they're empty?

Oh, and also, is it generally better to rest your men before combat or save time and enter combat ASAP? Or is it more of a better if you can, but sometimes you can't sort of thing?

That's it. Hope they weren't dumb or recently asked questions.

P.S. if anyone wants to PBEM with a low-average player please email me. I can do two or more turns per day, or less if you like.

Thanks,

Dr. Van Falk

ok, I'll try to answer these. But the answers will be short.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It says "Infantry Sounds? 10m" or something close to that. The red line extends from my men to a empty space on the map. Is this normal?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, pretty normal. I'm surprised that your men haven't actualy spotted the unit if it is really on 10m away. But when dealing with sounds it is really hard to tell.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Also, in fog my men tend to run at and over enemy foxholes that suddenly appear in view. Shouldn't they really stop running once they see them rather than assume that they're empty?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the run command is just that. Your telling your men you want them to go from here to there as fast as they can, ignore everything else. In FOG or at night is is almost a death wish to order your men to run places, unless you know for sure there are no enemy units about. Much better to only use move. Or if you expect the enemy to use sneck.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Oh, and also, is it generally better to rest your men before combat or save time and enter combat ASAP? Or is it more of a better if you can, but sometimes you can't sort of thing?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is always best to make sure your units are rested (listed as "ok" before battle). If they are tired or Weary they will not do near as well. If your units are only tired, usually a turn of inaction will rest them up. If they are weary if could take several turns. If you are finding a lot of units that are having problems being tired. you more than likely are rushing into battle to quickly. Slow the pace a bit. Unless there is an objective or location that you really have to get to now.

Lorak

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor:

On a couple of occasions in thick fog, my infantry will target an enemy unit, but there is no image of the unit being shown. It says "Infantry Sounds? 10m" or something close to that. The red line extends from my men to a empty space on the map. Is this normal?

Also, in fog my men tend to run at and over enemy foxholes that suddenly appear in view. Shouldn't they really stop running once they see them rather than assume that they're empty?

Oh, and also, is it generally better to rest your men before combat or save time and enter combat ASAP? Or is it more of a better if you can, but sometimes you can't sort of thing?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doc.

First of all, welcome aboard!

When a unit targets a 'sound', it means that they've heard rather than seen another unit, and are aiming where they suspect the unit to be.

As for foxholes, I believe your units haven't spotted any occupants in them, and have kept going to their next waypoint

btw, your Infantry start rested at scenario's commencement, so feel free to run 'em around a bit (helps their cardio-vascular system). Make sure though you give them a rest in some cover every now and then, otherwise they slow down at very unopportune moments!

Mace

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lorak:

ok, I'll try to answer these. But the answers will be short.

You're telling your men you want them to go from here to there as fast as they can, ignore everything else. In FOG or at night it is almost a death wish to order your men to run places, unless you know for sure there are no enemy units about. Much better to only use move. Or if you expect the enemy, to use sneak.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Lorak

Right on that, Lorak me friend! Peng and I are playing a game in which my newest, least favourite tactic is: The Rush of the Exploding Halftracks. And it's a completely clear day. Drive to beat hell towards a position (whether with AVs, or merely infantry), and you can watch your HT or Squad basically park on top of a foxhole. 'Course, it turns into an illumination round almost immedialtely thereafter. What you're telling your troops is: Go like hell towards such and such location. What you want is: "oh, but if you suddenly encounter something unexpected, drop out of 'going like hell mode' and become 'maximum warriors of death'." It's not going to happen (at least most of the time). Try running flat out, sometime, focused on where you're going, and fearing death, and having someone throw a snake at you. Chances are you scream, fall to the ground, and do nothing, or scream, knock the bugger aside, and keep on going (while firing uselessly in all directions). In either case, you don't suddenly drop to one knee, assume a steely gaze, and kill all those who oppose you.

Waypoints is where it is at! If you run and do not use formations you are setting yourself up for the kill! or should I say suicide.

Use waypoints especially in the fog. Plus if your troops are tired, they shoot a little off target.... the only guys I push sometimes are my engineers to knock out pillboxes...but i suggest to be careful in rushing pillboxes, because some designers are setting them up with defenses now....Just like the real tactics used during the war.

I must start by saying "I Love this Game!!". I find it to be a uniquely enjoyable challenge and its just the kind of game I've dreamed of sinc I started playing Squad Leader about 14yrs ago. The only Part of this game I have yet to enjoy is PBEM. I've tried being polite and engagingly opinionated and even tried being rude. As yet I have not found anyone to play a game with me. Actually, I'd be happy to PBEM just about anyone, as long as your not a poor winner. I've only had the game a few weeks but I played the demo to death while I waited on the USPS. I will respond to all emails as promptly as possible. I will play almost any game. Being that I have only played as the Americans and the American Airborn, I'm not sure how good I am as the other nationalities but I Bet it would be fun to try them out. I'm just looking for a friendly game, Win or Lose.

Thank you in advance and happy gaming

J

------------------

Hot enough for ya'?

DaKilnGuy