New Skyscapes Mod Available

New skyscape graphics are now available. Call them the simple sky set mod. They can be used for either the subdued or normal bright graphic terrain sets...

All of them have been touched up, but here is a couple of examples...

night_stars.jpg

A winter night, clear with stars

day_overcast.jpg

A summer overcast day

I hope the above pics show in this post. I just spent the cash to get web storage and a domain name. Don't know how DNS can update so quick, but I was able to access in my browser.

The zip file can be found at Tom's ftp site as usual. Follow the old instructions, I'll repost here in a moment.

Now that I have web storage, I am setting up a simple web page so folks can get my mod files from a web site that is available 24 hours every day. I'll have a slew of before and after pictures (small pictures and seperate pages so you don't have to load the whole mess at once).

Regards,

[This message has been edited by kump (edited 10-27-2000).]

not bad, i like most of the one colors grays.

however, i couldn't tell the diff with the dusk one. also,(warning hyper nitpick: prepare yourself) do the stars in the night version form astrological signs? i couldn't tell if those three stars were orions belt, or if it was just three stars in a row.

does it have a north star over the north compass? do they change with the seasons...(okay, ignore those last 2 questions, that's just sick that i asked that smile.gif )

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Can't see the pictures? Must need at least 24 hours or more for DNS to update. I just pinged and got the IP address for that domain. I'll update the picture links above and someone please tell me if they can now see it. Thanks...

Can you see them now?

Russell,

I tried to get the stars right, but it got tiring running back and forth from the window to the PC. I lost all sense of direction. Sorry about that smile.gif

The dusk is only darkened. You can't play too much with that one, or you mess up the colors too much, one way or the other.

ALL,

I found some other "skyscape" bmps in the Bmp directory, and they are more 'square' in shape and distorted. Anyone know what they are used for? Have I left somebody out?

[This message has been edited by kump (edited 10-27-2000).]

Guest Lord General MB

Sir,

I like the simplisty! Mabye a little more detail though?

------------------

Cheers,

Lord General Mr. Bill,

1st Army

Be careful using bryce to do skyscapes for cm though. The detail level is too great with the bryce images, and you'll get noticeable seams where the 4 walls of the skybox cm uses meet. One of the reasons I imagine CM uses the low-detail skys it does. You'll have to take the bryce image, convert it to bmp for cm use, then you'll have to modify it so the seams will not show up, probably by reducing the detail, esp at the edges.

-john

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 10-27-2000).]

I'm getting the skyscapes now, but wondered... The trees doc says you should use Gunslingers Tonedown Mod or else they will look odd (something like that), but I'm not one of the tonedown fans. (Yeah yeah, and I don't like baseball neither). smile.gif

But, schay o buddy o pal o mine Kump, ya wouldn't mind doing a version to be used with the regular or...what would you call it, the "toneup" version. smile.gif These mods are getting outa hand here, starting to remind me of the drivethru at KFC. Ah, I'll take one regular Tiger 1, two crispy Shermans, and a BBQ M20, oh and please supersize my Panther... smile.gif

But seriously folks, spotting US Infantry is like watching a girl get outa a car, "did you really see it or didn't you?"

Where was I...?, my Ma tole me about smokin that stuff when I was a kid. Oh yeah, Kump would you consider doing a trees version for regular consumption. Please, pretty please?

smile.gifsmile.gif

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno Weiss

The skies are simple because the bmp's get blown up so big that pixels get noticed. Its a lo-res backdrop, no matter what resolution you play, its always going to be the same. Maybe in the future, CM2 will use a higher resolution format.

Since the clouds get so pixelated, I wanted simple, because at least it 'feels' more realistic. I got what I wanted, the gray overcast, which was my primary concern. Hey, it was all done in one all nighter anyway. I'm sharing, but I will be looking out for true talented mod heroes out there who want to tackle this tricky sky thing, lo-res and all.

Hey Bruno,

That was pretty hilarious. As for the sky updates, its for both, dull and bright. For the trees, I did try something in between the awful bright and the awful dull. I got Gunslinger's grass to look pretty good and sunny, but the trees started to glow and I could have sworn I saw one of the south park kids peeking at me from around a tree. Don't know which one.

I'm working on a web site for the mods and a lot of before and after shots, bright and dull, just so people can make a head to head comparison and see if the mods are worth it before trying. Maybe convince some of you brighters the error of your ways. After that (this weekend I hope), I'm going to play man! I just got side tracked because I needed to fix that overcast cloud thingy thing smile.gif

Regards,

Hey tanks Kump, you da man! You guys are taking the good and making it gooder. smile.gif

Well that's it, it hadda happen. We've finally regressed CM full circle now and back into the normal human sociological state of paratribalistic protectionism. The Brighters versus the Dimmers. smile.gif

Whew, glad we got that stright. For a while there I was afraid we were all gonna betray our DNA libraries and slip into the modernistic utopian philosphy and get along. How we gonna fight each on the battlefield if we are not segregated into shallow and meaningless preprejudiced groups of brutal savages. I feel better now. The world is back to normal. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

"You can't fight in here, this is the war room". Dr. Strangelove

------------------

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno Weiss

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 10-27-2000).]

Hey kump pics look good! I started messing around this morning did a first attempt at tackling grass. Didn't look too bad for a first try that is. But could be WAAAY better I'll have this down I think in no time, and then it'll be like a junkie sellin' smack! I will leave the vehicle side of this to the masters though...I know where to draw the line!

Bruno, I'm not a huge Tonedown fan either, I'm in the middle. But I find a little in each mod that I like. I use stuff from everywhere.

Mord.

[This message has been edited by Mord (edited 10-28-2000).]

I sorta do also Mord. But have kept away from the tonedowns on account of the Surgeon General warnings they keep carrying. Must Use Gunslingers Tonedown Mod First. I suppose I should plug em in and take a look see. But I've already got a thousand mods in patch folders and it's getting to the point of real confusion.

We need a mod manager. IS THERE A PROGRAMMER IN THE HOUSE? It'd also be nice, if there were some sort of basic organizational rules out there for mod creators. You know, simple stuff like file naming conventions and consistencies, version numbers, informational or instructional text files, and most of all (lessen I missed this), a full blown index listing from BTS for all the bmp files. I know thier a little busy with CM2 a the moment (they better be smile.gif), but someone needs to do a complete index of the graphic files used by CM.

Anyway, I was ramblin agin, I suppose I'll await Kump's site examples he said he's preparing so's I can take a sneak peak before I go experiementing. smile.gif

------------------

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno Weiss

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 10-28-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

The Brighters versus the Dimmers. smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i prefer the term 'realistic crowd' myself.

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Hehe okay I'll take the bait, besides it's a quite morning at the asylum. Which group are referring to as realistic? Those preferring the 1960's television look, or those preferring the real world color you see out the front door?

------------------

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno Weiss

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 10-28-2000).]

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

Hmm I must admit I messed around with the sky textures as well and noticed those blocky bmps for sky use but I couldn't seem to find where they work.

One thing I found makes the skies look better is to try and get the grain down a bit so once you are in the game it looks more solid without all the little pixels.

But does anyone have any idea what the more blocky shaped sky textures are for?

The Numbers are

Any info would be great thanks.

------------------

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Der Unbekannte Jäger:

Hmm I must admit I messed around with the sky textures as well and noticed those blocky bmps for sky use but I couldn't seem to find where they work.

One thing I found makes the skies look better is to try and get the grain down a bit so once you are in the game it looks more solid without all the little pixels.

But does anyone have any idea what the more blocky shaped sky textures are for?

The Numbers are

Any info would be great thanks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I can't figure out what the more blockly sky textures are for either. But I took Gunslinger's "clear sky" files and used Gaussian Blur on it to get rid of the pixelation. Tried it with the overcast ones and the image really got messed up due to the huge blown up effect it does in the game.

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

Okay I re-touched up the original sky textures from CM and for the most part I have greatly gotten rid of the pixelation that you see once in the game. This includes overcast skies and all. However some touching up needs to be done still.

Now heres the problem has anyone figured out what the above posted BMP's are for?

------------------

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."