Oh my goodness!!!

I can't believe this, I'm still in shock, but while playing an operation, I confronted my first King Tiger! And even though I had Jumbo 76mm on my side, and a 76mm W+ Sherman already shooting at it a no avial, what kills it? My M8 HMC!!!! It truly is Thanksgiving!!! Just had to tell someone who would appreciate the feat. You may continue with your regular gaming.

Just goes to show you how good the armor penetration algorithms are. The right hit at the right time and place can do the damage.

------------------

--"We want information."

--"Information."

--"Information."

--"Who are you?"

--"The new Number 2."

--"Who is Number 1?"

--"You are Number 6."

--"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

--"Hahahahahahahaha."

Guest captain,ro

in a recent pbem my M4A3(76)W took on a tiger at less than 150 meters and won that round the first shot hit the gun and the second hit him in the front upper hull

ie, no more tiger <G>

ro

Am I wrong or does it appear more likely to kill armour than immobolise it? I have played quite a few games now and the incidents of immobilisation has been 2 or 3 compared to the hoards of destroyed tanks in these games. Just a passing thought.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Kind of disappointing, I don't believe Shermans were supposed to be that good<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> It goes to show you probably why either side won *most* of the time, shear numbers. Sure technology had the advantage at optimal conditions. However most places, most of the time, battles were determined by what? Numbers. That's my feeling. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by iggi (edited 11-21-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

The key thing is range and facing. No tank is so strong that it can shrug off a direct hit, in the flank, from a decent sized AP round at very close range (say... under 100m). Yes, it might survive such a hit, but it won't be a sure thing.

When you read about encounters with Tigers and other heavies, note the ranges being discussed. If the heavy German tank gets knocked out, it is usually at closer range from the flank. If a half dozen Allied tanks get brewed up trying to take out one heavy, it was usually at medium to long range (say... 800-1600m) against the tank's frontal armor.

People that go tooling around the battlefield like they own it will quickly find out that this is often not the case. The funniest thing is that when disaster strikes the Allied player says "yeah, that was dumb. I figured I was taking a big risk". When it happens to a German player, you more often here "WTF?!?! How the Hell did that happen?!? I'm driving a King Tiger for the love of God...". Seen this happen more times than I can count smile.gif

Steve