New Sound Mod v1.4

Thanks NC, it hasn't arrived just yet, but appreciate your sending it. NP on the 5mb download, I'm lucky enough to get 50666bps connections. Sitting right ontop of the phone company's central office in my hometown. smile.gif

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

Okay, wow first time I ever seen that happen. Maybe that is the first time come to think of it I tried to push it that far. I know I've done 3 megs and even 4 on occasion. Yeah, I'm over there now, it's just their all in separate files. I'll round the lil buggers up though. Thanks for a great job. smile.gif

------------------

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

Guest *Captain Foobar*

I love the sounds. You have done very good work.

I am puzzled over the dramatic differences shown in mg42 sounds,when compared with the original, and mdmp sounds, and it leads me to wonder what one truly sounds like.

The mg42 as portrayed through your sound mods much resembles the mg42 sounds in Close Combat (no, I dont mean that as an insult)

What do you think?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *Captain Foobar*:

I am puzzled over the dramatic differences shown in mg42 sounds,when compared with the original, and mdmp sounds, and it leads me to wonder what one truly sounds like.

The mg42 as portrayed through your sound mods much resembles the mg42 sounds in Close Combat (no, I dont mean that as an insult)

What do you think? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The original MG42 sounds that shipped with CM were created by BTS after they had listened to a real one firing, IIRC. Madmatt's were recorded from SPR and then heavily edited by Matt. The 'real' ones that used to be a part of my mod were taken from a recording of a live fire demonstration video. I have reverted to the originals shipped with CM in my mod. I added more bass and just a touch of reverb to them. They fall more in line with the rest of the sounds that I created.

Due to the way that CM shares the sound files, it would be impossible to model each weapon type to its historical sound. You could do the MG42 (since it has its own set of sounds), but after listening to them about 1000 times, they just did not fit in with the rest of my sounds, IMO. I am thinking of remastering the 'real' sounds and including them and the ones that I now have in my mod in the next update as there are people who seem to like the realistic sounds over the new ones. It all just boils down to how each person perceives the sound and which they like the best. I like them all, but am currently using the ones in the v1.4 update. That could change tomorrow depending on my mood... smile.gif

------------------

Jon Johnson

Audio/Video Productions

Matrix Games

Some of it is personal taste ofcourse, but I tend to prefer Nightcrawler's v1.3 MG42 sound. It carries a slight echo and the pitch is slightly higher conveying a more rifled sound. The combination I believe, results in a sound closer to what I think I would be hearing in most of the terrain settings. I suppose one could listen to several movies (Saving Ryan's Privates), but your listening to their audio editing and movie studios do some heavy technical editing on each segment of film prior to release. In the end I suppose, it comes down to a matter of taste and appeal to the listener.

------------------

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

Oh, one other thought. I've read where the MG42 was so feared by the US Armed Forces, that they would indoctrinate infantry during training with a live firing demonstration so that they would be used to the sound of it. And the descriptions that were used were that it was pretty scary. To me, the v1.3 version sounds more nerve rattling than that of the original CM sound or the v1.4 sound. Again, just personal taste.

------------------

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

Hey NCrawler, your sounds are excellent. Also, after converting them to snd format, they work perfectly on my Mac. For some reason, the sounds from MDMP 1 for the mac don't work and come through with a lot of high pitched static for explosions and rifle fire.

However, I do have a question regarding the BAR. If you listen very carefully, there seems to be a sort of electronic echo in the background for that one sound.

Lastly, add my vote to the list for having the option between MG 42 sounds and thanks for your hard work.

Hey NCrawler, your sounds are excellent. Also, after converting them to snd format, they work perfectly on my Mac. For some reason, the sounds from MDMP 1 for the mac don't work and come through with a lot of high pitched static for explosions and rifle fire.

However, I do have a question regarding the BAR. If you listen very carefully, there seems to be a sort of electronic echo in the background for that one sound.

Lastly, add my vote to the list for having the option between MG 42 sounds and thanks for your hard work.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pritzl:

Lastly, add my vote to the list for having the option between MG 42 sounds and thanks for your hard work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, glad you like them. As for the BAR, what you are hearing is a metallic ringing sound, not echo. The sound is a heavily modified Kar98 bolt-action rifle firing. smile.gif I've noticed it as well and will have a revised version in the next release...

------------------

Jon Johnson

Audio/Video Productions

Matrix Games

Ahh, thanks for explanation. I was not sure exactly how to explain the sound.

Since you're planning on making some revisions, I have a few small questions and comments all meant with the utmost respect for your work.

First, would it be possible to include a sniper rifle sound without the chambering of a new round effect. It sounds a bit out of place since, at any distance and especially during a battle, that sound would be completely inaudible unless you were standing right next to the guy. It's also a little odd hearing the brass casing fall when he's standing in the grass.

Also, what sound did you use for the MP44? It's really hard to tell whether yours are more realistic than the originals. There's a QT movie here at BTS's website showing steve firing an MP44 to compare with but it seems that the MP44 sounds almost like a high pitched popping followed by the echo.

I don't intend to sound nitpicky, but when someone such as yourself does such excellent work, that's the only thing left to do.

pritzl

p.s. awhile back, somebody posting a link to a website that showed live firing of the MG 42. Anyone have the link offhand? I tried a search but found nothing.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pritzl:

Ahh, thanks for explanation. I was not sure exactly how to explain the sound.

Since you're planning on making some revisions, I have a few small questions and comments all meant with the utmost respect for your work.

First, would it be possible to include a sniper rifle sound without the chambering of a new round effect. It sounds a bit out of place since, at any distance and especially during a battle, that sound would be completely inaudible unless you were standing right next to the guy. It's also a little odd hearing the brass casing fall when he's standing in the grass.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, I'll include both types in the next update to make everyone happy.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Also, what sound did you use for the MP44? It's really hard to tell whether yours are more realistic than the originals. There's a QT movie here at BTS's website showing steve firing an MP44 to compare with but it seems that the MP44 sounds almost like a high pitched popping followed by the echo.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The MP44 that I included was my creation. The sound quality in the QT of the MP44 is not the best, plus you have to realize that they are shooting on an enclosed range, so the echo is all wrong. Imagine the sound of an AK47 or SKS firing without the high-frequency crack of the 7.62x39mm and you will have an approximation of what the MP44 sounds like.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

I don't intend to sound nitpicky, but when someone such as yourself does such excellent work, that's the only thing left to do.

pritzl

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. Criticism encourages me to continue working on the mod, so keep it coming... smile.gif

------------------

Jon Johnson

Audio/Video Productions

Matrix Games

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Oh, one other thought. I've read where the MG42 was so feared by the US Armed Forces, that they would indoctrinate infantry during training with a live firing demonstration so that they would be used to the sound of it. And the descriptions that were used were that it was pretty scary.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw a training video to that effect on TV sometime. It had a voice-over announcer telling the GIs that "The German MG sure fires fast! But remember, its bark is worse than its bite..."

Somehow, I doubt that many of the GIs agreed with that assesment, once they actually were getting shot at by the things.

------------------

"Artillery is a terrible thing. God, I hate it."

Pvt. David Webster

101st airborne 1942-45

Yeah, that's the same one I saw Runyan. It was kind of comical. You watch that baloney training film, then watch the effect Spielberg demonstrated in SPR and you gain a healthy respect for the thing. The US Army was so impressed with its rate of fire that as I understand it, and eh hem, not being a weapons expert or something, but my understanding is that the current M60, is the modern evolution of the MG 42.

------------------

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss