ATI No fog advantage?

Just played my first fog CMBO scenario Malmedy. Up to now i have not bothered being an ATI user :(

Having read the boards i was led to believe that it should make no difference having no fog on the screen. Similar to smoke being toggled off.

So i was surprised to have LOS over 500m. During the battle Panthers took out Shermans at 700m, and small arms fire cris crossed the battlefield at ranges over 400m. Further more i could not find any reduction in LOS other than the normal trees, buildings, elevatuion changes etc. As far as the AI and me we concerned this was a clear day.

So my question is to those of you that can see fog what is your max LOS in this scenario?

[ February 08, 2003, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Redrobin ]

Thanks for playing the Malmedy scenario.

The LOS on a foggy mid-day in CMBO reaches approx. 725 m, IIRC. Though, identification of vehicles and troops will be hard. The visibility drops drastically when you change parameters to dusk/dawn (approx. 250) like in another good playable scenario against the AI : Grand Halleux.

When you use heavy fog, under similar circumstances visibility drops to 100 m or less.

Too bad you can't see the fog with an ATI-card as it adds to the airy feeling in this landscape. Not as bad as my Banshee Voodoo2 card though, that still renders smoke and explosions as rectangular bitmaps. :rolleyes: