BTS - Amazing programming!! Read!!

In the day of 1 Gig installs, and trillions of files & helper files... I'm amazed every time I look at the core of Combat Mission:

A single executable with a size of only 3.6 Meg.

Think about the massive amount of physics calculations that are run from the size/weight/speed/etc> of the projectile to the slope/hardness/quality/etc> of the armor it hits.

I just cannot believe they crammed all that into such a tiny file! After all, the rest of Combat Mission is just sounds and texture maps.

How did you do that??!?!?! WOW!!!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jpinard:

In the day of 1 Gig installs, and trillions of files & helper files... I'm amazed every time I look at the core of Combat Mission:

A single executable with a size of only 3.6 Meg.

Think about the massive amount of physics calculations that are run from the size/weight/speed/etc> of the projectile to the slope/hardness/quality/etc> of the armor it hits.

I just cannot believe they crammed all that into such a tiny file! After all, the rest of Combat Mission is just sounds and texture maps.

How did you do that??!?!?! WOW!!!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are geniuses. All of Them.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jpinard:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know what model CM uses, but I've seen some calcualtions of different armor penetration models before.

The original physics is scaled down to simple algorithms and math. I'll see if I can find and scan the article, and post it somewhere for you if interested.

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

Guest Big Time Software

3.6MB of code and data is actually quite a lot of information. Using physics models actually decreases the size of the file since there aren't any large CRTs anywhere in CM. It is much more efficeint (not to mention realistic) to have numbers churned out on a "as needed" basis instead of "every case we can think of and document".

But in the end, size doesn't matter wink.gif

Steve

Just wanted to add that I have also been amazed at the install size.

I'm used to games taking up 1.5 gig... so it's very nice to have this great game take so little space!

Can you guys just program EVERY game from now on please?

(EDIT: fixed typing errors, no doubt caused by mania induced by quitting smoking)

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 09-19-2000).]

BTS knows what "programming" is about. A tight code is much more effiecient and executes faster. In today's world of CD's programmers don't have to worry so much about compact code so they can string together as much spaghetti code as they want. "Goto's" are the norm now. BTS's tight programming means they care about there quality and are not forced by the corporate timetable.