Combat Mission Press(or lack thereof)

Guest Pham

Here's a search from gamespot on "Combat". Go to http://search.gamespot.com/perl/search_pc.cgi?search=combat and see if there's anything odd about which games have neither reviews *or* upcoming release calander dates(or previews, for that matter).

I'm wondering if there won't be a major bias in the game mags(on or offline) due to the fact that BTS is selling CM itself.

Also, on a similar note, just went to Best Buy to get some CD-R's, and looked at the "wargame" section. Not a single wargame was to be found. It was packed with RTS's, which are funny given that they all play like the original Dune(the great ancestor of these games). Just found it troubling... Oh, they did have Panzer General 3D. Otherwise was all C&C, starcraft, etc, etc...

Guest coolguy101

Best buy realy sucks!!!

Three months ago i could of when there and at least got a game like soldiers at war(which i own) but now they even took that of the shelves. Oh well. Who needs best buy when you got BTS smile.gif

Guest TOBRUK

I have found that Best Buy usually has the best prices on software, etc. and that it's stock is about representative of the marketplace. It's just that 'wargames' apparently are not big ticket items for these retailers because of relatively low demand. frown.gif

Which brings me to Eridani's point:

I just came into possession of the Feb 2000 issue of PC Gamer. Indeed this seems to be mostly an advertising rag, but there was an interesting column in this issue.

The column "The Desktop General," a byline of William R. Trotter has an interesting reference to CM. Apparently Trotter had intended to review CM in this issue, but couldn't because it hadn't been released yet. Too bad; would have been good press for BTS. Hopefully it will appear later. Trotter did say that it was enthusiastically received on 'battlefront.com.'

What was interesting was that Trotter went on to raise a spirited defense of 'wargamers.' This was necessary because of inane and insulting internet comments by other gamers ( esp RTS) calling wargamers a 'contemptible gray haired market.' Trotter said it's more a case of gray matter than grey hair. Kudos to Trotter. smile.gif

Here in France we have quite a good bimonthly magazine wich cover only wargames and related games. In their last 2 issues there was some very good prewiew about CM, in the last one december/january there was an laudatory article about de demo.

paullhr, how do I get that mag shipped to me here in the USA?

I also saw the article in PCGamer (even wrote a congratulatory message to BTS) and wished that Trotter had spoken at least a paragraph about CM. IMHO a spirited defense of wargaming against anti-wargamers should be put somewhere that the anti-wargamers will see it; most of the people who poo-poo wargames aren't even going to glance at Trotter's column (same as I don't even glance at the columns for FPS games, unless they're making fun of Daikatana tongue.gif )

DjB

Guest Big Time Software

We have received some good press, but don't think much is going to be written until AFTER the game releases. Because we aren't going to be pushed off a shelf this isn't a big problem. If we were a retail product this would be a HUGE issue for us wink.gif

Don't worry about Trotter not covering CM. He will smile.gif His support for BTS goes back many years.

BTW, I just got my issue of Cyberstratege (the French gaming magazine) and wished that either it came in English or that I learned French instead of Spanish in HS biggrin.gif The magazine is something to look at, let me tell you.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>BTW, I just got my issue of Cyberstratege (the French gaming magazine) and wished that either it came in English or that I learned French instead of Spanish in HS The magazine is something to look at, let me tell you <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your support Steve biggrin.gif

So, you were impressed by the magazine's layout ? I must admit that, for 39 Fr, it is quite a good deal ! smile.gifThe same editor also produce "Vae victis", a magazine about historical board games ; excellent, too, and always come with several articles about the art of war in a specific era. And guess which was the last article about ??? West Front 44-45 ! wink.gif

If you get difficulties reading the 2 pages about CM in Cyberstratege, maybe I'll be able to translate them in English for you ? Just advise if you wish too ; and please do not complain about my English thereafter, I'll try my best ! LOL

Regards,

Magnus

ok, it's incoming... I'm doing the translation right now ; Moon spontaneously proposed himself to check it ( many mistakes for him to correct, for sure LOL ). As soon as we are finished then I'll mail it to you.

I'm wondering if it would be wise to get in on the board ? It's quite big... Too bad I don't have a scanner ; the layout is really something to see.

Regards,

Magnus

PS : damn, that afternoon I was to work for my exams !! wink.gif Hummm, let's say I'm working my English biggrin.gif

Guest Stabsfeldwebel

What the hell!?!

Since when have the french been the ones to trump the rest of us, jeez while the american gaming magazines are fumbling around trying to figure out "uh this isn't a first person shooter?" the french guys are already writing in depth reviews on it.

Viva la France! keep going in this direction and i'll have to take some french courses smile.gif

Magnus,

If it is agreeable I'd be willing to host the translated version on CMHQ.

Can anyone give me the email address of the editor at Cyberstratege ? Also, does anyone know if the editor speaks English?

If he doesn't then I'll have to break out my French and write him since I want to ask permission to post the translation of the article (just so things are kept honest and non-plagiaristic).

Cheers,

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Fionn,

Translation is ready, and Moon kindly did check it, so I assume it is nearly errorless.

I was about to ask permission to post it here, but, of course, I totally agree if you want to post it on CMHQ.

As I also think making things honestly is always the best way to do, here's what your seeking :

Chief-editor and director of Strategy group, Théophile Monnier. Email :cyberstratege@histecoll.com

I don't know if he speaks English or not, so you'll have to ask him ( even if it is highly probable he did ).

I'm forwarding you the translation at once, so that you can check it by yourself.

Regards,

Magnus

PS : <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Hey, promote Magnus from junior member to member. That sort of effort deserves some recognition.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL ! You're too kind with me, that did not take me that long to make it smile.gif

" Quand on aime on ne compte pas " as we say in French wink.gif

Since MAGNUS posted the complete background of CYBERSTRATEGE I won't duplicate is exelent work. I just wanted to poste all the information I have about this great magazine as I didn't wanted to be submerged by e-mail about it. But as I read somewhere in this forum wives do need a wise handling ....

** Lurking Mode OFF **

Hi all, I'm coming back online after some days away and resume lurking here and what? I find almost a whole thread about Cyberstratege? I have to plead guilty here: I'm the one who wrote the article and tried to convert the French wargaming community (or part of) to this desperately addicting game called Combat Mission. wink.gif

Fionn: I'm positive Theophile (Chief Editor of Cyberstratege) speaks English.

For my part, as the author I would be more than happy to see this article on CMHQ (not that it will add anything to Fionn's review, but it just shows that more and more people from abroad are interested in CM), but I guess it's better to ask permission from Theo, since this article was written for publication in Cyberstratege and IIRC Theo wrote the last few lines.

Paullhr, Magnus and Moon: Thank you for translating and checking the article, and for your enthusiasm about it! smile.gif

Cheers,

Joël

Back to lurking mode...

** Lurking Mode ON **

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks all! Yes, Theo does speak English. I have exchanged a few emails with him. In fact, I owe him one to thank him for sending the magazines. Great stuff smile.gif

Steve

Yeah, in the same way you KNOW all about WW2 and aren't even sure what the Waffen SS is. Excuse me while I cough and mutter bull***t under my breath.

Think before posting. You do NOT know it all. No-one does, I don't either. Just realise that and you'll be a lot more accepted.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers