Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Buildings and Hills

This is kinda stupid but....

Are there any restrictions to where buildings can be placed in the scenario editor?? Specifically can they be placed on hillsides??

Looking at TGN (madmatt & fionn's site), I noticed that the screenshots of the Arnhem scenario didn't have any buildings on the slopes along the highways north ramp... Is CM's building placement limited to "flat" tiles??

Thanks Stoner

It's a good guestimate, though smile.gif You can place buildings whereever you like, basically, but the tile it's on will be flattened automatically. In other words, if you put a house on a hillside, you'll get a "dent" in there.

Hmm...I wonder which is more common in building: leveling the hill around the building, or cutting the building into the hill. For military stuff like bunkers, cutting into the hill is probably the more common method. For civvie stuff, I think that leveling the ground is probably more common.

'Course, I'm not a building contractor. Any out there?

DjB

Are bunkers just a little concrete/wood/sandbag shack offering only protection to the crew of the weapon inside (HMG, 88AT, etc..)? Can these structures, even if penetreated offer a squad some sort of protection? Are they small blockhouses or just gun emplacements? I am thinking about creating a scenario concerning the Metz defences. These were hellishly tough nuts to crack. Bunkers, trenches, wire, mines, multiple machine guns, etc... It is a fairly modern structure too (Germans modernized it in 1871, French in 1918, and Germans again in 1940). I am pretty sure but Patton had to bypass these series of fortresses and starve them out. I would love to make a scenario having an American Battalion try and storm a section of one of these forts. Of course, it could turn out to be just as bloody, short, and pointless as setting up a beach assault.

There won't be any kind of "bunker designer" although building, trench and bunker designer programmes were things I have pleaded for for CM2 wink.gif

Personally I think it'd be great to be able to go to a site and download cathedrals, entrenchments and bunker designs and import them into CM.

The good old Handbook of German military forces has some great bunker designs I'd like to see put into action... It probably is impossible to do but I can dream.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest TOBRUK

Yes, cathedrals would be cool. Also, other architectural artifacts that inundate Europe: old Roman aquaducts, and city wall fortifications around & on which many towns are built.

I've played the Panzer Elite demo and although it's not to my taste, I was impressed with the graphics, especially the stone buildings which had a rather more 'real' look to them. I hope CM is tweaked to upgrade these appearances ( although it is fine now), or upgrades the sequel. cool.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Moon forgot to mention that there is a limit to the slope. Too steep and the building will not actually be placed. I foget how many elevation differences between the building and neighboring tile, but it is pretty big in scale meters.

Tobruk, we have redone many of the terrain graphics since the demo. Looks much nicer each and every day smile.gif

Steve

In designing numerous scenarios for the game, I have become rather familiar with the nuances in setting up buildings on hills. If the grade from one tile to another is too steep, the building won't appear at all.

That was a problem in the Arnhem scenario, where the bridge is at one level and then placing a building adjacent. Only by grading the level a bit could a building be placed next to the bridge.

Any building on a steady rise will be tilted. You'll find in the editor that you'll have to play around a lot with heights and other terrain features, such as buildings, walls, hedges and even roads.

It takes some getting used to. Like so many other things in this wonderful game, it is very different from anything you've seen before.

But if I can learn to do it, I know you can.

Wild Bill

----------------

Wild Bill's Raiders

Director of Scenario Design,

The Gamers Net

billw@thegamers.net http://wbr.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Wild Bill Wilder (edited 01-06-2000).]