Has anybody given RISING SUN a try?

While were waiting, has anybody tried Rising Sun? If so, how does it compare to WF/EF?

The pacific theatre does not really apeal to me because it seems like a bit of a meat grinder, compared to the west ETO. I dunno if there was very much finesse to tactics in that theatre.

Hundminen

I wouldnt load up another one of those cheesy Talonsoftdick games if they were sticking them for free in crackerjack boxes. The whole turn based "I Go/You stand still with your thumb up your ass" genre is dead. Platoon level armor in the jungle? 250 meter hexes? A box it comes in has the ugly mugs of the designers on it? I dont think so..

Now if someone would only come up with a platoon/section level game with simultaneous execution and great 3D graphics..little menus pop up next to the units allowing you to change the formations, targets, facings...

Lewis

Guest Scott Clinton

Check out the review at www.cdmag.com

They post the best, most fair reviews on games you will find on the web. And they are not afraid to trash a bad game. You may also want to check out their old reviews of EF/WF for reference.

Basically if you liked the system used in EF/WF you really should give RS a try.

Last but not least don't pass on it because it is based in the Pacific. There was just as much 'finesse' and tactics used in the Pacific theatre as in the European theatre. I can never figure out why wargamers/grognards dismiss Hollywood's treatment of the war in Europe but accept it so readily in the Pacific and Vietnam.

FWIW In the end I returned it for the same reasons I returned EF2. But it did have a nice, neat & clean take on night fighting (IMHO)

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

Guest Zulu1

From what I've read, it looks like Rs has gotten most of the bugs out of their system. Plus this is the only PacWar one out there so I'm going to give it a try.

And as far as turn based being dead, I have to disagree. This is a pretty good vehicle for the smaller outfits. 101 Airborne is still lots of fun (it's sorta turn based. its igo-ugo based on the initiative of each man.) They're got an 82nd Airborne follow up in the works.

And beer & pretzels games like Panzer General turned a lot of people on to wargaming.

CM has come up with an excellent alternative to turn based. RTS doesn't work well as the unit count goes up. I tried the Sudden Strike demo. Click fest frown.gif

Well, I have EF, WF and Rising Sun. I have to say RS is the best of the lot. In WF and EF you had armor, mobile troops and open spaces in which to perform flanking actions. In RS it is a whole new ballgame. You must learn how to take out bunkers and improved postions our you will get chewed to pieces. It takes a different mindset than the European battles of WF and EF. Throw in night combat complete with starshells, caves and banzai charges and you have a very nice game.

Allan

I could never get into EF or EF2 but RS is really a very good game.

The interface is now tolerable and I had a cracking time playing it.

The bad news is that the campaigns are limited. You cant play late war Burma for example and the campaigns are so short there is no time to get equipment upgrades. While this maybe more realistic I miss it. SP series still has the bets campaign system IMHO. There are lots of scenarios but as I never bother with them I cant give a good judgement on them.

One other peice of bad news is that the AI and artillery settings are not much fun. It is possible for example to sit on a ridge high above a large enemy defending force below and stonk it with artillery for the entire game wiping out most things that move. The AI will not attack you execept with its own artillery which can be avoided (by you) by simply moving every turn.

My gripes aside it is a sweet game easily the best of the series and very pretty. Probably the best looking wargame I have ever seen.

My 0.02c

_dumbo

Best looking wargame?

Ewwwww

Those jungle GFX look horrible, and I know - I lived in Rabaul, Papue New Guinea for 12 years smile.gif

I will never buy another Talonsoft wargame again after West Front. I've only played it for 2 weeks since I bought it last year - yawn. Something not right about moving each unit one at a time, it feels so much like chess...

Their installer still does the dummy if you have more than 1 CD Rom as well

Plus Talonsoft's attitude just plain stinks

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there, or grab a CM Wallpaper! :P

LOL well it looks like real jungle to me who has never been in one smile.gif I stand by my comment I cant think of a better looking wargame than RS even if their jungles may be unrealistic wink.gif

As for TS yeah their NR (net relations) is just aweful. I got banned from the customer service board for having the "wrong name". Why as a paying customer I cant use whatever nick I want to read the tech board really offended me particularly when thier staff uses nicknames but customers cant. When I wrote to them I was told it was "none of my concern" I think they have a 14 year old who runs thier BBS I really do.

That said With JA2, TOAW and RS Talonsoft has released some truly excellent games which I have enjoyed. Besides many of these games wouldnt have been published by anyone else so i support the devlopers by buying them.

just my 0.02c

_dumbo

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dumbo:

As for TS yeah their NR (net relations) is just aweful. I got banned from the customer service board for having the "wrong name". Why as a paying customer I cant use whatever nick I want to read the tech board really offended me particularly when thier staff uses nicknames but customers cant. When I wrote to them I was told it was "none of my concern" I think they have a 14 year old who runs thier BBS I really do.

_dumbo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was kicked off at least 4 or 5 times. They would bait you too, like a bunch of prissy fags, and when you said so much as "peep", the TS nazis would read you the riot act. It was kind of fun for awhile too.

I think a really well done platoon level game similar to CM would kick ass.

Lewis

LOL. I think I set a record there wink.gif.

I got kicked off twelve times in 2 weeks and had 4 email accounts blocked from sign-up by them wink.gif.

I kept going back though purely because:

a) there were SERIOUS bugs in BOB and

B) I'll be damned if some net-nazi is going to censor a well-thought out exploration of game flaws on my watch.

LOL glad I wasnt alone. I honestly wonder if thier management realizes what damage their net staff has done to them.

Getting back onto thier bbs is actually rather easy given the amount of free email providers out there and thier BBS system doesnt do IP blocking as I recall. Oh well, screw em.