Ou est le gare?

I just noticed, theres no street lamps, how did those WWII civilians find there way around? Theres no post boxes either, but I don't know if thats a post war invention. Might have been you alwayss had to go to the post office in 40's France and Germany. Who knows?

------------------

What signal? I see no signal!

Horatio Nelson (Rear Admiral, Royal Navy)

Battle of Copenhagen (1801)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I just noticed, theres no street lamps, how did those WWII civilians find there way around? Theres no post boxes either,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or city buildings for that matter... come to think of it, I don't recall any urban battles in Combat Mission. None of the towns look like they could hold more than 100 people.

Unfortunately there is no non-functional scenery in the game as yet. I'm not very impressed with the urban scenarios I've seen, so I made my own. It is possible to make a convincing town, but you've got to compromise a lot. Check out the results at my website.

David

New map!button.gif

------------------

'Wake up darling.'

'What is it dear.'

'Those awful Germans want fighting dear.'

'Not again. I killed three yesterday.'

'Here's your sandwiches and rifle. Try and not use the bayonet dear, you know what a mess it makes on the carpet.' – Spike Milligan

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

I'm not very impressed with the urban scenarios I've seen, so I made my own.

Check out the results at my website.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shameless plug.

Bright BMPs user!!

Nice map BTW...

biggrin.gif

------------------

I shake my thingy in your general direction. Bauhaus

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Unfortunately there is no non-functional scenery in the game as yet. I'm not very impressed with the urban scenarios I've seen, so I made my own. It is possible to make a convincing town, but you've got to compromise a lot. Check out the results at my website.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I remember playing your urban map, it has "Trojan Horse" in the title if I remember.

IMHO, Combat Mission is slightly unsatisfying in the way the town and city scenarios are played out. Towns in CM lack character. I thought that whoever made the Parisian scenario had clearly tried his best, but was still something of a bad joke from an aesthetic and a gameplay standpoint. I am not getting my hopes up on CM2 solving this: for example, in the scenario editor, there is a maximum size for a "tile". This "tile" can contain grass, a road, a house or whatever. But this system does not lend itself to recreating non-square shaped buildings, or buildings which have rooms inside them. I hope that the Reichstag is not some super-pretty modification of CM 1's church.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. Bates:

I hope that the Reichstag is not some super-pretty modification of CM 1's church.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My child, you are brilliant! Add this to my wishlist: One-of-a-kind buildings. Reichstag, Victory monument, Univermag, Colloseum, Eiffel Tower...

------------------

I remember it perfectly: The Germans wore grey; you wore blue...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>My child, you are brilliant! Add this to my wishlist: One-of-a-kind buildings. Reichstag, Victory monument, Univermag, Colloseum, Eiffel Tower...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your sarcastic tone suggests that you would prefer to see rows and rows of square buildings which all have the same height, width, length, number of floors, and windows.

I have actually come to the conclusion that the buildings which I want in CM2 will not be possible. One solution would be to create a building tile which is one quarter of a bigger building, and then to combine four of these tiles to create the desired effect. The problem is when a squad moves from one tile into the other, as was seen on the Paris scenario.

[This message has been edited by M. Bates (edited 11-27-2000).]

errr... okay.

What I was TRYING to say is that your mention of a Reichstag gave to me the idea of a gallery of one-of-a-kind building tiles to be used in user-made scenarios, and I thought that was a good thing.

Clearly I was mistaken about your brilliance. Please resume being a snert.

------------------

I remember it perfectly: The Germans wore grey; you wore blue...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Please resume being a snert.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Says the man who entered this topic with, "My child,"

Back to topic, even if BTS does produce "one-off" models, these buildings will probably get modified into oblivion. If I try and play the game using the latest buildings mods, the result is a village of crumbling boarded up dwellings more akin to present day Glasgow or Manchester...

In short, the rural aspect of Combat Mission is great, it's just the urban setting which needs work and ideas, and/or an amended game engine.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. Bates:

even if BTS does produce "one-off" models, these buildings will probably get modified into oblivion. If I try and play the game using the latest buildings mods, the result is a village of crumbling boarded up dwellings more akin to present day Glasgow or Manchester...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No one is forcing you to download mods.

Guest KwazyDog

Hi Guys,

Thought Id post this here for interests sake. It is a city map I was working on for a Falaise Gap operation. I never finished it, though I hope to one day, hehe.

I think its a pretty good example of what you can actually do with large urban areas in CM's current editor.

http://www.geocities.com/kwazydog/City6.zip

With CM2, city battle will of course be much more common, so you can be sure in the fact that it is something we will look at during the development process. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 11-27-2000).]