O/T Cuban Missle Crisis Soccer Pitch Question

Does anyone here know of any reference or information about the allegded importance or significance of the appearance of Soccer pitchs in the arial recon photos in the vinicinity of the staging area's for the launch sites of the missiles in Cuba?

Does anyone have a web site reference for this one?

Just Curious, thanks.

I know there are some VERY knowledgable Grogs here who may know or have heard of this one.

Thanks

-tom w

The significance of the presence of soccer pitches is that until that time, Cubans did not play soccer. Baseball was their preferred sport. Russians, however, were quite fond of soccer. The presence of the soccer fields near the MRBM sites was confirmation of a Soviet presence.

------------------

I remember it perfectly: The Germans wore grey; you wore blue...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Formerly Babra:

The significance of the presence of soccer pitches is that until that time, Cubans did not play soccer. Baseball was their preferred sport. Russians, however, were quite fond of soccer. The presence of the soccer fields near the MRBM sites was confirmation of a Soviet presence.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GREAT!

Thanks

I had been told that story in High School but I never seen anything written about this?

So I'm wondering if they will get it right in the up coming movie Thirteen Days? Due out in Dec.

Do you know of any web page references?

I have looked for the Soccer - Pitch Cuban Missle Crisis connection but have never actually seen it written anywhere.

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Formerly Babra:

Good Synopsis Here

Took me about two minutes to find that using Google.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

greetings fellow google user! =)

plus castro was not a good enough baseball pitcher to go pro, thus he decided to become a dictator(i skipped a few steps but that's the gist)

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show