a guide to ammo loads, please

Can someone inform me what the "32 H, 5 P, 6 S"etc I see in a unit's ammo bar mean? How many different types are there? Do you get white phosphorus rounds? I can't think of anything better on Reisburg than to chuck a few phosphorus rounds into the 88's foxholes.

Guest tom w

32 High Explosive rounds (blows things up)

5 AP (or A) Armour Pierceing rounds (knocks out Tanks)

6 Smoke rounds (blinds other units while you advance)

- tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

Can someone inform me what the "32 H, 5 P, 6 S"etc I see in a unit's ammo bar mean? How many different types are there? Do you get white phosphorus rounds? I can't think of anything better on Reisburg than to chuck a few phosphorus rounds into the 88's foxholes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Beman:

There will, in the final version, be several additional ammo types. t will designate tungsten-cored rounds, c will denote hollow-charge (HEAT) rounds. There may be others; I'm not sure.

DjB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget the frozen chickens smile.gif

Sabot, I think you read the same report that I did.

In an effort to check the toughness of some plane's canopy against airborne impact with flying birds, Air Force X (forget who's, maybe the Brits?) adpoted the "chicken gun" which was capable of shooting a fowl at high velocity (at least for a chicken) at the canopy of the plane.

When the first three chickens fired smashed striaght through three canopies, the engineers were freaking out. What's wrong: the specs? the materials? the construction?

Then a gentle voice suggested that they not fire frozen chickens at the plane, since Perdue Farms frozen chickens are rarely encountered at 1,500 feet.

Reminds me of the Aussie Army trying to train helo pilots. Seems their simulator is extremely realistic. Tacticians pointed out that wildlife scattering can warn of the approach of a helo, so the brass wanted the simulator to well, simulate kangaroo herds.

The computer geeks who programmed the sim decided to use the same logic for the roos as they did the virtual enemy soldiers. A little graphics work and presto-change-o, there were now herds of roos walking (hopping?) about.

Figuring it would be good to test this out, the brass got a demonstration. The pilot flew in and buzzed over the virtual roos. They scattered, as expected, ans as all were congratulating themselves, the pilot heard a missile lock tone, then his helo was destroyed.

A quick investigation revealed that the roos, after scattering, unpacked their SAMs and let fly at the helo. They were, after all, simply new skins built over the same programming logic and capabilities as enemy infantry.

Chagrined programmers said they would fix it immediately. The brass said no.

Aussie helo pilots now give the virtual roo herds a wide berth, just as the training intended.

lol

The plane in question was the F-111 Aardvark. They stopped the testing as you indicated. The aircraft is supposedly limited to under 300 seconds at +2.2 Mach due to the canopy distorting and possibly imploding due to heat induced stress...

[This message has been edited by Kevin Peltz (edited 05-02-2000).]