ok I'm an idiot HELP! Specialized units? How do I use them?

Ok I am sorry about writing a few of what I think you guys call spoilers... I assume these to mean they are more like stories than topic for discussion. So I hope to make up for it with this topic.

Ok I'm not a dope, but I am having trouble getting tank kills with anittank weapons. either the tank or some lucky shot from somewhere else takes out my anti tank team before they can do anything. I think I got one tank ever in Cm by using AT teams and that was an accident ai event. usualy something goes foobar from the getgo.

Of course maybe it's because usualy I don't use my At teams defensively? Anyway by the time I really try to use them My tanks are chop liver, and I need to take out at least one other enemy tank to make the scenario winnable without huge losses.

hell I posted something that is more like a spoiler about my troubles with AT teams.

It's a sad tail of an AT team inexplicably running away from a tank it was sneaking up to, to engage a 12 man aliied squad in the building when they had no reason to do so...

i was just about to pop the tank and the team changed their minds and ran. (and no they wheren't routed panicked or anything else in fact they where not only sneaking but had the rise of a hill in the way, not a single allied unit noticed them about 20 yrds from the tank.

Anyway any strategic advice on how to take down a tank without a tank of your own, or ways to practice this would be great.

I feel like a dolt, but most of the specialized weapons in the game (flamthrowers and AT teams) have been hard for me to use effectively. So any strats would rule...

Thanks hope you can all help.

In my experience with CM I have found that generally, single capability ambushes or assaults don't work as well as they could. What I mean is that, if you send an AT team out on a voyage to ping an enemy tank without supporting infantry, chances are they will either get wiped out or distracted.

Don't take this as gospel, but it may help to send some supporting troops to lend assistance to your AT team or at least to draw some fire from them wink.gif

Also, make sure that you check the experience level of the AT team when sending them on their way. A green AT team will most likely flee on the very sight of a tank, whilst a vet unit may stick it out even if they have to throw the zook tube at the tank smile.gif

Cover is also particularly important for AT squad. They move slowly and easily distinguishable, and therefore prime targets. Ambushes are therefore probably the best way to utilise their skills.

Flamethrower teams are similar. They are difficult to get into the action without getting wiped. You should use the same principles with these sqauds - moving in cover, supporting troops etc. Preferably with some smoke to cover their advance.

Basically, you just got to keep trying different things. CM seems so variable that something may not work one game, and the next, it may work brilliantly, or luckily smile.gif

AT teams work best stationary. You want to get your opponent to move into your kill zones.

they can be used aggressively. Rush them forward on vehicles and then have them jump off and hide. Another effective method is lay smoke on your intended target and advance your AT team(s) in the smoke.

Hope that helps.

Demangel,

"LoneRanger" AT teams are not very effective.

1-Use ambush markers.

2-Put them in command radius of an HQ unit (especially those leaders with stealth ratings).

3-Put the AT team in cover or stay hidden in foxholes.

4-Put them in spots with narrow or limited LOS's to keep enemy infantry from spotting them. IMO, this one is critical.

Experiment with them: they will surprise you sometimes and disappoint you alot.

Good luck

Thank you all so far for the answers they are great and Help me a lot... I usualy do send them inwith support but like I said maybe I just have no luck LOL... that and the Ai must be really good to always know I am coming for his tank and have all units in the area (well most anyway) single out the anti tank teams, or flame throwers...

I will try more advanced ambushes then in the future... also what about panzerfaust and the grenades some units have on their rifles? Are they more likely to get off a shot than the specialized AT teams? at the cost of knock out punch abillity?

I dunno, but be sure I will try what has been advised... I am glad I am not the only one who finds it is hard to knock out a tank without using armor of my own.

-Demangel

Demangel, first of all a spoiler is something that gives away a secret, like if you talk about what forces are in a scenario so people who haven't played yet and read your post get info they shouldn't have.

I don't have anything to add strategy-wise except to say that the trouble you're having IMHO is very realistic. From what I've read taking out a tank with a bazooka was very difficult and usually resulted in the team being awarded a bronze or even silver star.