You stupid **** I ordered you to HOLD YOUR FIRE!!

Some expert help would be greatly appreciated.

Lt. Wilkens has cleverly set up what looks to be a very good ambush. All platoons are Vet,rested, and In-Command. Squad A-1 and A-2 are well hidden in the woods with good site of the road...and set to hide! A-0 and A-3 are across the road in a small French farm house again with good vision and set to hide! An ambush symbol is set in the middle of the road approx 35M from each hidden unit.

Wow!, Intel was acutally correct on this one and here comes that German mech column! Heading up the column is a scout car followed by 2 canvas infantry truck and...the real prize...2 Tigers!! Boy, I really want those tigers!! Come on boyz...let the infantry go by and pop those tigers with perfect flanking shots.

NO!!!! Don't open up on the trucks...you stupid **** I ordered you to HOLD YOUR FIRE!! We're found out....withdraw NOW!!

How do I get these grunts to hold their fire to hit the targets I want? Your help will keep me from shooting them myself!!!

BTW, I really like the way TacOps lets me send that Javelin team down the road with a good field of fire...give them a small 30M diameter aiming area...and then order them to shoot at NOTHING but those pesky T-72's. Is this possible in CM?? I wish for a drop down menu selection to choose targets during an ambush.

Thanks for listening...I really don't want to shoot these guys...well maybe just a few of them with itchy trigger fingers!!

Steve

I've yet to use the ambush command in a game yet, but my understanding of the Ambush command is that any enemy that enters the zone will trigger it... you can't specifically say "ambush this target but not this one".

Probably the only way to do something like this is simply to keep your units hidden w/o an ambush order and hope the target you want will be close by at the end of the turn. Then, at the start of the next turn order your units to attack whatever specific targets you have in mind.

Trouble is, units that are hidden will open fire if an enemy gets too close. 35m may be "too close" for your units and they'll open fire on the soft-skins anyway.

------------------

"You know our standing orders. Out of ammo become a bunker, out of commission become a pillbox, out of time... become heroes." - The Beast

Maybe try setting the ambush marker further down the road almost behind your units, then the whole column of vehicles might be in range at the time the first vehicle reaches the marker. Of course your still at the mercy the the Tac AI to target the correct units, but at least the Tigers are within the same striking distance, if not closer, in relation to the rest of the units.

I am playing a PBEm game and getting my arse firmly kicked because my infantry would rather shoot at a mortar team 300m away walking through woods than stay hidden. I basically was completely screwed because my units refused to hold their fire. I hope they improve this in CM2.

I have had just this happen to me on many occasions and I set up some custom scenarios to test various methods of bagging the big boys.

The result:

Since most columns or groups "move rate" and the CM turn length means that you will likely have at least two turns to pop shots at the high value targets. Place the zook or Shrek team's ambush marker as far from the expected enemy route of advance as possible. This ensures the max probability of your team sitting still while the forward elements advance past their position. Then in the second round (if they haven't been discovered) target whoever you choose.

The results are of course highly variable, like any combat. Roads are the most difficult to interdict since the movement rates are greater.

TacOps like SOPs are preferable in my opinion.

Remember that Combat Mission simulates the behaviour of real soldiers. You can't expect them to watch a column of enemy troops go by and then shoot at their tanks, because those soldiers are going to get your men. Your men will shoot at the enemy soldiers, because this is by far the greatest threat to their wellbeing.

I've tried setting up 'commando' scenarios before, and it just doesn't work. I'm afraid you can't expect superhuman heroics in this game, so be realistic with what you expect your men to do.

David

------------------

There's a splinter in your eye, and it reads REACT