horribly embarrasing

From the README:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>In order to get the correct IP address you may need to manually run Winipcfg in Win9x/ME (from a command line) or ipconfig /all for Windows 2K Advanced Server (also from a command line).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I pressed start, then entered "Winipcfg" in the command line and pressed ok.

The readme has more info too.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Loki:

If you need an IP for TCP/IP don't worry.

YOU DON'T NEED ONE.

Once you start a game you are assigned an IP. Its that IP you give your opponent for the game.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh?

IP addresses are not assigned by the game Loki. Each network card and modem has its own IP address, which can be dynamic (i.e. everytime you dial-up with your modem the IP is different), or static, depending on your configuration.

If you don't have a modem or network adapter, you obviously cannot connect to the net, you don't have an IP, and you won't get one by CM either.

CM probably reports the IP address it finds. (I don't have the patch yet, so I might be talking b&llocks here, can't ftp it...).

Hope it helps.

------------------

My squads are panicking, must be the stench in the cesspool...

Guest KwazyDog

Umm, guys smile.gif....

If you host a game Combat Mission should tell you what your IP address is. You shouldnt need to run winipcfg, etc. If it isnt showing for you when you host and are waiting for your opponent to join, make sure you let us know.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Umm, guys smile.gif....

If you host a game Combat Mission should tell you what your IP address is. You shouldnt need to run winipcfg, etc. If it isnt showing for you when you host and are waiting for your opponent to join, make sure you let us know.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dan (or is it Don?), the only problem with waiting until CM tells you the IP address is that you have to esc back to the desktop to tell your opponent what it is. If you have a Voodoo5 card with FSAA enabled (as I do), then the text becomes garbled once you get back into the game. So it's best to run winipcfg (if running Windows) to get it if you're in my boat. Actually, it would be best if either BTS fixed this or 3dfx did, wherever the problem may lay, but barring that...

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Guest Madmatt

Yes Dan, I was explained this issue last night as I also couldn't understand why everyone was getting the IP addresses ahead of time.

Seems our pal Voodoo has thrown yet another wrench at our little machine. We are trying to figure this one out as well.

All the best ways to get IP's are talked about in the docs which apparently no one has taken the time to read yet :eel:

There are also some circumstances and configurations in which CM will report the WRONG IP address, and yes this to is well documented, guess where? Yup, the included docs.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-29-2000).]

MadMatt said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Seems our pal Voodoo has thrown yet another wrnech at our little machine. We are trying to figure this one out as well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They haven't impressed me as a company I can say that much. My old ATIRageFury never gave me half the problems I have experienced with the two Voodoo's I have tried and the one I finally, stupidly, decided to keep. I just wish ATI had fog emulation and some decent FSAA and I would'nt even be typing this.

Mord.