Will my Computer pass muster?

I am a complete novice when it comes to the computer, so I'm asking the advice of those on this forum who are experts.

I have a Compaq Presario 5360 with;

AMD-k6-2 450 MHz,

Video ROM 8 byte,

SiS 530 for graphics,

60 Megs of RAM,

OS is Windows 98 4.10.

My question is, will it be able to handle the larger scenarios in CM?

The Gold Demo plays well but slows down a bit when there's alot of smoke. I've noticed that the game is slow in VoT when I move the line of sight and targeting lines around after the full number of units are exposed on the board. Will I be able to play the larger scenarios and run the improved graphics that will be in the final game? Thank you.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Well, of course I can't give you a definate answer since I haven't seen the full version yet, but I would say that your CPU and memory shouldn't be that much of a problem. I guess your graphics card is your primary bottleneck, with the CPU as the second one, but a good distance behind.

So replacing the graphics card would probably help you the most if the game turns out to be too slow.

Dschugaschwili

Guest MantaRay

Yeah, that video card is really bad, and you will have to disable it from the BIOS(I think it is on the motherboard), if you get a new video card. I would say go for as much as you can afford, but dont think cause you see a card that is $59, that it is a good one. Remember...you get what you pay for.

Diamond Viper 770's are good for the money.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

Wayne,

More RAM is a good Idea. You probably actually have 64 but the SiS Vid Adaptor is eating up 4 for its own use. You should grab a 64 Meg PC100 Module and while you have the case open see what slots you have open.

More than likely you only have PCI Slots <They are black and kinda short> so you are probably limited to something like a Voodoo 3 3000 or 2000 PCI. Not a bad card at all,and I have a friend who has a K6/2 400 With a V3 3000 that runs the game like butter at 1024x768 with all effects..

-Rookie

you have a great system plenty of everything.but i would upgrade to the TNT 32 meg Ultra card then you ll have a real nice system ,now if you add a built in Bar Fridge your on top of the world .i have a banshee a good card for what i do.but im going for the TNT 32 Ultra it seems to be the best card for a great price.no probs with the tnt its a proven card and everyone i know has them and loves theres .and with the bugger maps and mods etc i think ill need the 32 meg card to handle all the goodies

cheers

Being that you have a sis chip on you pc and that your pc is proprietary, I don't believe you can upgrade you vid card. I think it is a part of your motherboard and this is the price we pay when we don't build opur own or have sopmeone build it for us.

Actually, you can upgrade the video card. I had a SiS m/b, the onboard video was automatically disabled as soon as it detected another video adapter in the slot. I must say, though, be careful what card you buy, TNT cards are notorious for having trouble working on non-intel chipsets. I bought a TNT2 Ultra, and I had lock-ups galore on my SiS motherboard. Had to buy a new one.

El Jeffe

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to continue....

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll just have to wait to see how the game works when I get it. Playing the demo today, I noticed that moving the camera positions and panning the game is a bit jerky but I was used to this before. It's something I can live with. Thanks.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

The problem is the onboard video chip that Compaq puts on the motherboards. I had the same problem with my Compaq 5240. What you should do is get another 64MB of memory and get yourself a Voodoo 3000 or 2000. I know some of the other guys are recommending a card with a NVidia chip but 3dFX work with AMD to ensure that their cards optimized AMDs' 3D now technology. I did this going to a Voodoo 3000 card, you won't believe how many frames per second you can get. I can run Combat Mission with every thing on , and it is perfectly smooth.

Guest grunto

you've got roughly the same setup as me except a 450 central processing unit (cpu) where mine's an mmx166.

i've got a 2mb video card with 8mb monster accelerator... the monster was $39 or something.

so i take it you meant 8mb of video ram?

-

Video ROM 8 byte,

SiS 530 for graphics

-

i've got 10 and it works ok... processing turns should be a lot faster for you than it is for me.

in light of the fact that bigger scenarios are going to be in the release, i may need to upgrade the cpu and the video ram. you may want more video ram. do you have a video card or is your video on the mb (mainboard)? if it's on the mb you need to disable it in the bios/cmos (the computer's hardware setup screens, usually accessed by hitting f1 during the early boot power-on-self-test (post). on compaqs and gateways and the like the keystroke varies but on most clones it's f1.

i'm asking about the on-board video because sis brand chips are often found there in that 'conflaguration' -g-

andy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by grunto:

you've got roughly the same setup as me except a 450 central processing unit (cpu) where mine's an mmx166.

i've got a 2mb video card with 8mb monster accelerator... the monster was $39 or something.

so i take it you meant 8mb of video ram?

-

Video ROM 8 byte,

SiS 530 for graphics

-

i've got 10 and it works ok... processing turns should be a lot faster for you than it is for me.

in light of the fact that bigger scenarios are going to be in the release, i may need to upgrade the cpu and the video ram. you may want more video ram. do you have a video card or is your video on the mb (mainboard)? if it's on the mb you need to disable it in the bios/cmos (the computer's hardware setup screens, usually accessed by hitting f1 during the early boot power-on-self-test (post). on compaqs and gateways and the like the keystroke varies but on most clones it's f1.

i'm asking about the on-board video because sis brand chips are often found there in that 'conflaguration' -g-

andy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have a video card.

If the big scenarios in the game aren't any worse than VoT than I'll probably leave it as is. My disability check only goes so far. Good luck with your machine.

------------------