The manual

Guest Big Time Software

Nope, because that would be a manual all on its own because of how many units we have smile.gif The manual is already 180 pages, and that is without statistical data. All of the relevant statistical data is available to you within the game or from any books you might have. Since we use real world numbers for many of the stats, instead of ambigious game specific numbers, there might very well be a book or two already on your bookshelf to consult about things like armor slope, top speed, ground pressure, number of MGs, etc.

Steve

Guest Pham

I've got to wonder, if there aren't going to be unit stats and such in the manual, what's there going to be? CM is one of the most intuitive games I'm ever played and had almost no learning curve to figure out game mechanics. Doing well at it is another matter, but I assume the manual isn't going to be just a hint book.

My guess for sample manual text, given that there isn't too much to explain about how to play the game:

"Move: Movement is an important part of any combat operation. Begining with the Romans, movement was discovered to make battles much speedier and combat resolution more definitive, as opponents could finally approach each other. An example of movement is walking, which is accomplished by placing one foot in front of the other and tensing the muscles in the forward leg to force the body to thrust forward(...)"

And it'll just go on like that for 20 pages before it gets to "Run".

Fair comment Steve, I guess i was inclined to have a grigsby slant when I asked the question and if the tanks are modelled on actual data your right there is enough data in books on the shelf, but what will fill the 180 pages if no data and the game has a very easy interface so wouldn't think there would be 100 pages on how to play. I know we don't have to wait much longer for the great event except us Aussies, D Day +10, is there a chance of a bit of exitment and posting the contents pages for us to drool over.

Ron

Guest Mikeman

180 pages even without unit stats?! That's great! Thanks BTS for putting the icing on the cake. Newbies will benefit greatly by a thorough manual.

Mikeman out.

Guest Big Time Software

Boy you guys are totally underestimating how much stuff you haven't seen yet smile.gif A decent chunk of the manual is dedicated to the Editor and there is a nice Tutorial in there too. Operations is a fair sized section too.

But overall, there are a LOT of neuances to the features you are all familiar with that you may or may not fully understand. Many of the regular posters/lurkers here have a leg up over most people in that regard because I have helped explain a TON of the inner workings to you that only the manual could explain well otherwise. And I know for a fact that I haven't explained everything in detail yet, so I am sure you will all find plenty of stuff that will make you go "cool! I didn't know that" or "ahhhhhh, so that is why that is happening".

In short, do not confuse Ease of Use with Depth. Warcraft 2 is a really easy game, but a big manual isn't necessary because it isn't deep. The opposite is true for CM. Because it is so deep it *must* have a detailed manual or else we would be screwing up a MAJOR part of the total CM package. And that is a no-no smile.gif

Steve