Friendly Fire?

Yarb

OK I'm too lazy to search the forums for this so if you don't like people who don't do their research close this window now smile.gif

I'm playing the fun Bruyeres scenario and doing poorly as usual. One of my rifle squads panics and runs off the hill towards the rear. The turn ends and I notice that another American squad, that didn't run, is shooting at them!

friendlyfire.jpg

If you're really interested feel free to grab my saved game file and take a look.

Yarb,

Yes friendly units can, and do, target other friendlies. This is especially true when it is night or in fog.

It would appear to be night in your screen shot, thus the possibility increases. What was the experience of your troops?

Edited due to continued spelling errors...doh!

[This message has been edited by ACTOR (edited 09-25-2000).]

Yes this particular scenario does take place at night. What surprised me was the circumstances. The unit that is being fired upon broke and ran past the squad that is firing at them. The squad doing the firing has an experience of 'regular' and a status of 'shaken'.

The squad that is firing on the friendly unit does a couple different things on the next turn when I load the saved game. The majority of the time they seem to panic then go 'broken' in the next minute. So maybe they're not thinking right after all smile.gif

Yeah... "shaken" status means they're pretty spooked. Add in spotty visibility conditions and there's no telling what they'll do. I haven't played a night battle yet, but "shaken" usually just means they'll sit around in a panic. Never seen a unit lash out like that. Perhaps afterward they realized who they fired on and that just sent them over the edge smile.gif

------------------

“Out in front every one is holding out. Every one. My grenadiers and my engineers and my tank crews – they’re all holding their ground. Not a single man is leaving his post. They are lying silent in their foxholes for they are dead.” – Gen. Fritz Bayerlein on an order to hold his position

In the fog of war I have had my own units shoot at one another even during the day. The enemy laid down a thick pattern of smoke on the hill that I occupied. Well I had two units in fox holes about 50m appart. Shortly after the smoke hit, I saw the targeting line go from one unit on the hill to the other. redface.gif

I watched as they shot each other up for the next 30 seconds or so. The next turn I targeted them onto other enemy targets to try and avoid a repeat. It seemed to work.

Great game!

I agree, this is a great game. Everytime I think I've got it figured out something like this happens smile.gif

Last night I also finally got around to playing on my home system with surround sound (I've been playing on my laptop for a month or so) and discovered I can hear all sorts of neat things.

Two that stood out was I swore when a mortar round landed on a squad of infantry I heard a guy yell 'Oh my god my leg!' and I also heard a Sherman crew say 'yeah we got him!' when nailing a StuIII

Ah... Just one more reason to LOVE the game.

On a similiar topic, can troops take casualties simply from hopping off a vehicle? I had a 75mm spotter team leap off a Greyhound recently and take one casualty in the process... It did not appear that they were under any sort of fire at the time.

I assume one of them broke a leg...

My favorite line so far was when A Brit PIAT team of mine took out a tank and I heard them say:

"Put that up your pipe!"

------------------

“Out in front every one is holding out. Every one. My grenadiers and my engineers and my tank crews – they’re all holding their ground. Not a single man is leaving his post. They are lying silent in their foxholes for they are dead.” – Gen. Fritz Bayerlein on an order to hold his position