check diz out guyz...

i like the idea that units can "hear" and assume positions of enemy units near them but i think it will be helpful if we can know who "heard" the supposed enemy. and why not add an option to remap keys? that's all... viva CMBO!!!

Interesting thought but how would knowing which unit made the sound contact add to gameplay? The re-map key idea seems pretty good at first glance but the only time I've needed to remap keys is in realtime games like flight-simulators and first person shooters. Don't mean to cut you down there, I just think there are bigger fish to be caught. The TCP/IP patch for instance. wink.gif

Cheers

Eric

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.

Actually, it's a good point that would add to gameplay IMO.

As it is, when you get a sound contact, you have no idea of knowing how close the little contact icon is to the actual source of the sound. If you knew the units that heard it, you'd have a good idea of how accurate the estimated location could possibly be. Currently, it wicked hit and miss, with contacts appearing half a map away from the actual source, and you having no basis for gauging how much to trust it.

fog of war means just that. possibly multiple units heard something, each may have heard something different...if you truly want to model a sound contact at the unit level, you'd have to put all that in. BLECCH. IMHO it's abstracted nicely as is, and is perhaps even too accurate - it seems to present a commander's judgement vs all the range of reports

smile.gif just kidding, please do NOT make sound contacts even vaguer!

when you click on the sound source an icon probably an exclamation mark will appear on the unit that "hears" it. it can give the player an idea (by deduction) to find out where the enemy probably is.

the tcp/ip patch MUST come soon.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pham911:

remap=changing game keys to your liking. (i.e. instead of ctrl-b turning on based, you could make ctrl-z do it).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info. Why would you want to remap?

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne:

Thanks for the info. Why would you want to remap?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is nice to be able to customize the game controls to your liking. For instance, I am sick to death of hitting Esc to cancel a command (as it does in most every other game or application I am used to) and ending up at the desktop. Arrrgh! If I wanted the desktop, I would Alt-Tab to it!

It is quite nice to be able to change the default key setup in a game to be what I expect them to be. That way, I can just play and enjoy the immersion, and not worry about changing my reflexes to match the keys the designers chose.

This is standard in every shooter I have seen in the last few years (good thing, too, as us sim players always have to flip the y-axis on the mouse). It is becoming standard in lots of other genres as well, and it would be a welcome addition to CM.

nqbus8 said: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>when you click on the sound source an icon probably an exclamation mark will appear on the unit that "hears" it. it can give the player an idea (by deduction) to find out where the enemy probably is.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't see how knowing which unit is reporting a sound contact would help determine where the unit might be. Sound contacts are, by their nature, the most uncertain type of contact. It's just a noise, and on a battlefield might bounce around a lot before reaching the ears of a soldier under your command.

Let's suppose that an enemy sound contact shows up 400m in front of 2 of your units. Further suppose that you know which of the two "hears" it. That sound contact could be closer, farther, left/right, etc etc. Now, if the first unit dropped the sound contact, and the second unit picked it up, how would that change your knowledge of the enemy's location? The contact could still be further/closer, etc etc.

I think of sound contacts here the way I think of them WRT submarines. When a sub gains a passive sonar contact, all they know is an estimate of bearing, and range could be WAY off, due to sound characteristics underwater (convergence zones and other things I don't know about).

DjB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Supertanker:

It is nice to be able to customize the game controls to your liking. For instance, I am sick to death of hitting Esc to cancel a command (as it does in most every other game or application I am used to) and ending up at the desktop. Arrrgh! If I wanted the desktop, I would Alt-Tab to it!

It is quite nice to be able to change the default key setup in a game to be what I expect them to be. That way, I can just play and enjoy the immersion, and not worry about changing my reflexes to match the keys the designers chose.

This is standard in every shooter I have seen in the last few years (good thing, too, as us sim players always have to flip the y-axis on the mouse). It is becoming standard in lots of other genres as well, and it would be a welcome addition to CM.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Changing your reflexes? But you don't need reflexes to play CM...

I do agree at least about the nasty ESC key being a PITA! Otherwise, the keys don't bug me too much.

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)