MAC OS FIX POSTED!

Guest Big Time Software

Guest Big Time Software

OK, as some of you have noted, running older version of the MacOS produced some problems. It was a small, but significant, bit of programming oversight. The fix can be downloaded from:

ftp.battlefront.com/pub/demos/cmmacdemofix.sit.bin

Size is something like 600k.

Enjoy!

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 05-10-2000).]

That link 404s on me.

Also, one question.

Older versions of the Mac OS? I have 9.04 (the newest), and I have the following two bugs:

1: Instead of "Axis," the name for German units and their name on the "scoresheet" at the end reads: Apple Grayscale. That's just WEIRD.

2: It seems that the resolution always zooms to 640x480, which is annoying as the beta demo played fine on my Voodoo2 in 800x600.

Were these fixed in the new patch?

Thanks!

Read the No good smoke thread by me.

I think we're out of luck with the resolution.

Also the I need help thread (also by me smile.gif ) is a good interesting read.

------------------

"Guys the editor is HELLA COOL and you can make it sing like a 2 dollar whore errr never mind that reference..."

-Madmatt

My website!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago:

Older versions of the Mac OS? I have 9.04 (the newest), and I have the following two bugs:

1: Instead of "Axis," the name for German units and their name on the "scoresheet" at the end reads: Apple Grayscale. That's just WEIRD.

2: It seems that the resolution always zooms to 640x480, which is annoying as the beta demo played fine on my Voodoo2 in 800x600.

Were these fixed in the new patch?

Thanks!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think 9.0.4 caused those problems, unless it was a conflict with your video card. I've got 9.0.4 and the ATI 128 card, and everything's fine. Although I was kinda surprised when, while playing Valley last night at 4 a.m. local time that the demo locked up and my comp had to be restarted. But thanks to BTS's new autosave feature, I didn't miss a beat. That little detail is a true lifesaver smile.gif Oh, and in case Steve or Charles reads this post, thanks again for all your hard work and thanks so much (for about the 6th time) for making CM for Mac... so few blockbuster games come out for our side, but CM is all I need now biggrin.gif

Guest tom w

I just downloaded the Mac fixit version...

What does it do?

Can we have more than 640 x 480 now?

I must say that wa a VERY VERY fast and resposive patch!

But what did it fix?

Thanks

-tom w

Guest tom w

Hi

I have the Gold Demo running fine on a G3 laptop running 9.0.4 with the very latest Quicktime Pro software installed, it works GREAT... 1024x768 full smoke fire and ALL!

Now that does not address the issue of the Biege G3 Desktop it is running 8.6 but it only has the standard 2 megs of on board Video Ram that comes with it from the factory, and it won't show the game any bigger than 640x480, this is not a complaint does trying to help solve the "issue"

no fancy smoke and fire either frown.gif

ITs no problem for me....

I suspect its just the way the game works I have seen other 3D video games that will only work in 640x480 in the 2 megs of video Ram on the Biege G3 so I do not think this is all the uncommon.

-tom w

Guest tom w

just adking again

wht did the MAC Fixit Demo that was reposted Fix?

I've played CE on both versions

and the accidental prelease (sorry about that)

first download version and have found no problems, like bugs or anything, that I could report on....

confused.gif ?

just curious smile.gif

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

G. S. Patton <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Miyamoto Musashi:

I don't think 9.0.4 caused those problems, unless it was a conflict with your video card. I've got 9.0.4 and the ATI 128 card, and everything's fine. Although I was kinda surprised when, while playing Valley last night at 4 a.m. local time that the demo locked up and my comp had to be restarted....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What were you doing when it froze? Were you moving you viewing position around the map?

I am interested because I have a similar configuration and frequent freezes.

pford

Guest Big Time Software

The only fix the "new" Mac demo had was to allow the demo to run on systems earlier than 8.5. It was supposed to do that all along, but a small glitch in the last build undid that. It was a two-second fix, actually. smile.gif

Charles

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pford:

What were you doing when it froze? Were you moving you viewing position around the map?

I am interested because I have a similar configuration and frequent freezes.

pford<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, the two times it's frozen up my computer so it had to be restarted were when I was doing some zooming in and out, checking the terrain... it doesn't do it every time, just twice in the four or five games I've played thus far. And just so you know, I'm running an iMac DV SE (G3400) w 192 mbRAM and the 8mb ATI Rage 128 card. I haven't seen anyone else post a freeze up problem like this, so I'm not sure exactly why it does, unless it just overloads my card or something. Any ideas, Steve? smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Well, I am using 8.6 and haven't had the game lock up on me in a dog's age. And even then it was something entirely predictable and would be true for all machines (PC or Mac).

We do not trust 9.04. Hell, we don't trust ANY form of 9. In fact, Charles downgraded from 9.04 to 8.6 because he was getting all sorts of crazy, whacky stuff like Dr. Zhivago in other applications. So this appears to be yet another Apple flub up on the OS 9 front.

Tom, CM will never work on a 2MB VRAM card. Even 4MB is pretty bad, but we do allow it. So when CM goes into software mode it will ALWAYS go at 640x480 because any more than that would be like watching paint dry wink.gif

Steve

grrr...

then why does it have to go into 640 x 480 even when i have a voodoo 2?

are you sure theres no way i can change this?

i don't mind playing with resedit or other utilities.

------------------

"Guys the editor is HELLA COOL and you can make it sing like a 2 dollar whore errr never mind that reference..."

-Madmatt

My website!

Guest Big Time Software

Colin - no way to change that behavior in the demo but we'll change it in the shipping game.

Charles

I have the same problem with a PB G3/300 -- it kicks me into 640x480 at launch. I'd rather have a larger field of view with worse graphics than the other way around if possible. I'm just glad the gold demo is out (been lurking and playing the AI since January). I'm going to go see how CE plays with the new version...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Miyamoto Musashi:

Yeah, the two times it's frozen up my computer so it had to be restarted were when I was doing some zooming in and out, checking the terrain... it doesn't do it every time, just twice in the four or five games I've played thus far. And just so you know, I'm running an iMac DV SE (G3400) w 192 mbRAM and the 8mb ATI Rage 128 card. I haven't seen anyone else post a freeze up problem like this, so I'm not sure exactly why it does, unless it just overloads my card or something. Any ideas, Steve? smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just on a lark, download a G3/G4 backside cache utility from an upgrade vendor like powerlogix http://www.powerlogix.com , and disable the backside cache and see if the problem goes away.