Fuzzy Logic for when things goes too well?

To BTS or anybody who could give some insight on this.

I understand the game mechanics for when troops have suffered casualties and or are alerted, panicked or broken. Less control over your troops...Very realistic.

What I am wondering is if the other end of the spectrum is or can be simulated (or for that matter whether it should be).

If an attack goes very well - should troops not be more inclinded take their own initiative (move forward or charge)? I remember playing CC1 and while playing the Germans and doing very well, a couple of Assault type squads decided to move forward on their own accord! At first I was surprised but then after giving it some thought, it seemed to make sense - I mean, when things go bad, you loose control, but then maybe it should be a loss of control when things go a bit to well...

Is this realistic? thoughts, comments?

------------------

No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy

Stefan,

you misinterpreted the cc1 AI. You simply forgot to put the general behavior command (Atack-Defend-Retreat) to "Defend". Many people never got this thing and claimed their troops were acting on themselves all the time.

Squads acted on their own after quite a while if they didn't receive any orders.

When no general order was given, as most people always forgot to, then this "acting on our own" this staretd to appear. If a general command of defend was given, squads would simply stay put whereever they were and wait for orders.

------------------

"Please fix!!! or do somefink" (CPT S.)

You could alway's crank up the fanatical level of your troops.

But I don't think that was to common during the war.

Oh that siganature by M Hofbauer just kills me. biggrin.gif

------------------

The counter-revolution,

people smilling through their tears.

Who can give them back their lives, and all those wasted years.

M Hofbauer,

Thanks for the CC1 clarification. Still, what do you think about squads taking their own initaitive is they perceive things as going extremly well? I don't have any experience in the military so what do troops do? I figure, regular troops would do as ordered but say if you had green troops and you managed to successfully conduct an ambush - would there be a chance for the green troops to take off in pursuit of the enemy?

Just wondering smile.gif

------------------

No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy

hmm - it's an interesting concept, no doubt. I am not against it.

#

It could work along the lines of the way fanaticism is handled.

Fanaticism in CM now means chance that troops will fight to their death when under atack without surrendering.

Why not also let it mean that there is a certain chance of them going berzerk when they have "tasted blood" and pursue the enemy recklessly?

Again, I find it interesting, but I am just a n insignificant short-time guest on this planet.

DEF: yes I like it too but I think by now it's time for something new....

------------------

"All i want is for decent games to be a good as they can be. Do want a game that works???" (CPT Stransky)

I think I wouldn't want a feature like this. The CM AI already takes some "creative liberties" with a lot of a player's orders. Now, I can understand a squad breaking under fire, or refusing to carry out an order it thinks suicidal. But say I have my plan worked out so that platoon A is to wait in the woods while platoon B enters the town. Once platoon B takes up its position, it is to provide covering fire for platoon A, which is to flank and destroy the AT gun by the church. Now, say, instead of doing this, platoon A says, "screw that, who needs covering fire? Let's go get some medals!" and charges the AT gun head on. Whereupon the infantry which platoon B was supposed to be suppressing cuts platoon A into little bits.

Basically I think that CM already gives the TacAI a fair amount of liberty in interpreting a player's orders, and that if more control was taken away from the player, we might as well just be watching movies.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

aah agrees with chupacabra...

dem is peewits thats knowingly goes fer the medal of honor or pour le merite or whatever.

likes that genr'l onest said

"let them other bastids die fer THEIR country" or sumtfink laks that

[This message has been edited by pathfinder (edited 09-05-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pathfinder:

aah agrees with chupacabra...

dem is peewits thats knowingly goes fer the medal of honor or pour le merite or whatever.

likes that genr'l onest said

"let them other bastids die fer THEIR country" or sumtfink laks that

[This message has been edited by pathfinder (edited 09-05-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

God Pathfinder....I thought "Strine" (a.k.a. Australian) was hard to understand but that suthen axsent of yours is even worse! :P

Regards

Jim R.

------------------

Whoa mule, WHOA!.....when ah sez Whoa ahz mean WHOA!!! ....Whang....

Ya flea bitten varmit...

Ah hate dat Wabbit! (or Gerbil or Hampster or Rattus Rattus...insert preference)