Useful upgrade?

KLilly

Here's a non-glamorous upgrade I'd appreciate. Could the program "remember" my password in PBEM games like most ISP's do? Every time I play a turn I am presented with the password screen and have to reenter my password. A "remember password" feature would save me this repetitive task.

I don't mean this to be a flame... but entering a password is a repetitive task? I know I'm a pretty modest player compared to some, but entering the password for the 3-4 email turns I look at each day isn't much of a hassle.

------------------

“Out in front every one is holding out. Every one. My grenadiers and my engineers and my tank crews – they’re all holding their ground. Not a single man is leaving his post. They are lying silent in their foxholes for they are dead.” – Gen. Fritz Bayerlein on an order to hold his position

I think BTS could answer many of these requests simply by allowing command line parameters for input file, password, and output file. So "cm2.exe input.txt pw output.txt" would zip through all the menus, execute the turn, and pop out the saved file.

This would allow the active mod community to add nifty cool front ends and back ends which would knock off some of the administrative items on the wishlist for CM2 (remember password, separate PBEM directories, etc.) without impacting CM2 release date (too much).

-Kyle

What would be really nice is if BTS figured out how to use file association.

I would love to double click on my "xxxx.sce" file and have my OS know that it was a CM PBEM turn, fire up the executable, load the file, insert my password, and present me with a screen...

Probably would not even be that difficult to accomplish.

Jeff Heidman

No flame taken Daveman. Sure it doesn't take long, but if you do it 14 times a day (if you're lucky) it gets a little old. Those who use different passwords (just why would you do that?) could of course input away. I love the suggestion that there be some "automatic" way to load the turns, but given that no other game has such a feature, it probably isn't as easy as it sounds (I'm no expert).