Why don't you get Total Victory when the other side surrenders?

Just wondering why one side doesn't get a total victory when the other side surrenders. Seems like the victorious side would be able to take in all of the captured soldiers and secure the rest of the map in a real-life situation. I'm sure someone's got a logical explanation for me... smile.gif

Thanks,

Jim

If your opponent surrenders after causing so many casualties that your unit is so bloodied that it won't be able to fight tomorrow, it's not a total victory for you. Your CO has a major headache as your sector is vulnerable to a counterattack. You do get credit for all the victory locations, etc., but casualties count...

You have to look at what cost the victory came.

Picture the following exchange:

"Captain Smith! Have you captured the town yet?"

"I sure did, sir, and I've taken seven German prisoners!"

"Excellent, Smith! What were your own casualties?"

"My entire company, with the exception of the cook, the BAR gunner from A platoon, and my dog. I also lost the jeeps under my command, and the TD platoon is completely wiped out."

"WHAT??!? Sergeant, arrest this idiot!"

I realize that's a bit hyperbolic. But anyway, the final score takes into account your own casualties as well as your enemy's. Even if the enemy winds up surrendering, it might still be something of a pyrrhic victory.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

Alright, that makes sense. Do the Victory Percentages DURING the game also take losses into account? Because, I've noticed that in attacking situations, the the Victory Percentages (i.e. 70% to 30%) are the same as the point totals at the end of the game. So, is this related to losses as well as territory gained??

Thanks,

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Basebal351:

Do the Victory Percentages DURING the game also take losses into account? Because, I've noticed that in attacking situations, the the Victory Percentages (i.e. 70% to 30%) are the same as the point totals at the end of the game. So, is this related to losses as well as territory gained??

Thanks,

Jim<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't put too much stock into those percentages. They are calculated with full fog of war in effect. For example, in a recent pbem an opponent was in control of the VL's (victory locations) but as soon as I lost contact with his troops and they reverted to unidentified status my victory percentage soared while his dropped showing me to be again in the lead which I knew to be false.

One way in which I beleive the percentages can be used with some surety is on the attack. In a situation where none of the flags have been taken but where a lot of casualties have been caused on the defender all of the percentage for the attacker would be based on casualties and as such could be expected to be somewhat valid.

Yes, getting a "Total Victory" every time the opponent surrenders would be unrealistic, especially if you've taken lots of casualties yourself. But on the other hand, I think you should at least get a minor victory. Being left with a draw after your opponent's surrender is kind of weird, I think.

Dschugaschwili