Does stopping help recon?

I was pushing an M-8 Greyhound into the rear of my PBEM opponent's position, moving him at Fast speeds to complicate targeting. He didn't sight anything as he motored along.

Suddenly, he reached the end of his movement orders, and paused for 15 seconds while the next orders kicked in, and a distant "Tank Sound" suddenly popped up 200m away.

Got me thinking - does CM model that stopping your recon vehicle makes it easier to hear distant sounds like squeaking tracks? If so, I'm in awe of Steve and Charles, for modelling such a subtle feature of real-life recon operations. Or was this just a fluke?

Thanks!

Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stefan Fredriksson:

If you Hide a vechicle, doesn't that turn the engine off? Thus making it very less detectable by sound.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch, ouch, ouch...

If you hide a vehicle and "turn the engine off", we now need data for how long it takes to start the engine for a vehicle, how long to warm it up, and all sorts of nasty issues and complications...

I think I'd rather not go there... perhaps vehicles "hiding" just go to engine idle...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

Ouch, ouch, ouch...

If you hide a vehicle and "turn the engine off", we now need data for how long it takes to start the engine for a vehicle, how long to warm it up, and all sorts of nasty issues and complications...

I think I'd rather not go there... perhaps vehicles "hiding" just go to engine idle...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My rule book is at home DAMN!

What does it say about hiding vehicles

I have never heard or read that hiding a vehicle silences its engine? Is that True?

This si very interesting, I would really like some imput from Steve on this one?

I have never used the hide command on a vehicle, because I thought is had NO value, if it makes spotting better and turns off the engine then SURE Hey! I'll use it all the time when I can.

Never thought about that engine turn off thing.

Where does the truth lie here?

any one have the game manual handy?

-tom w

I have also found out from experience that more waypoints result in better situational responses from the unit and also better spotting.

It seems that a waypoint is modelled an instant stop of some sort.

Has anybody noticed that?

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coralsaw:

I have also found out from experience that more waypoints result in better situational responses from the unit and also better spotting.

It seems that a waypoint is modelled an instant stop of some sort.

Has anybody noticed that?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

do you mean a way points between orders?

If you set a REALLY long path as one order with lots of way points inbetween, those way points do not slow down the unit, but as soon as you give new orders (in a new turn), that particular way point becomes a stop and wait and see place, I have found that while attempting to out flank German tanks with Sherms or Stuarts, that 10-15 sec pause while racing for the perfect out flanking shot will get that tank killed almost every time, because it stops just long enough to listen to the new orders and let the slow turret rotation of the German tanks catch up to it, then BANG no more tank. In planning quick dashing flanking manouvers, it is best IMHO to set at least 3 or 4 minutes worth of path or plotted way point moves if you want to keep your unit on the move, and if it likely to be fired at, you most definately WANT to keep that unit on the move (preferably fast move! smile.gif ).

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coralsaw:

Tom,

I mean waypoints inside one order. The more I set per order, the more flexibility it gives and the better spotting abilities IMO.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure about that?

I have not found that in my experience but I have not really looked for it or at it either.

I will watch for it next time I play.

Thanks

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

My rule book is at home DAMN!

What does it say about hiding vehicles

I have never heard or read that hiding a vehicle silences its engine? Is that True?

-tom w<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm obviously not Steve. But I'm 99% sure that a hiding vehicle is one whose engine is turned off. This reduces the engine noise to nothing and makes sound contacts less probable. Listen for it next time. If I'm wrong (that nasty little 1% I allowed myself smile.gif), then the engine is idling at low RPMs. I'm 100% sure that there is a definite increase in sound though between a hidden vehicle and one that's just sitting there without orders.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

I thought hidden units couldn't observe as good as an unhidden unit!?

Hmmmm...I'll check the manual...

------------------

Spending extravagant amounts of money for marginal improvements is only acceptable in the fields of racehorses and fancy women.

-Lord Kelvin

Guest kking199

lol... I just investigated this the other day... the book states that an Armor unit when Hiding engine's are in low idle, on page 159. Spotting capabilities are reduced, which makes sense for a squad of men in the woods, but vehicles I would think spotting would be the same, unless no one is looking outside!, which is a scary thought, similar to burying your head in the sand with the rest of your body out and thinking you are hidden!!

------------------

Arghhh!!.... I'm Hit!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juardis:

I'm obviously not Steve. But I'm 99% sure that a hiding vehicle is one whose engine is turned off. This reduces the engine noise to nothing and makes sound contacts less probable. Listen for it next time. If I'm wrong (that nasty little 1% I allowed myself smile.gif), then the engine is idling at low RPMs. I'm 100% sure that there is a definite increase in sound though between a hidden vehicle and one that's just sitting there without orders.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW

All I can say is I'm Blown away, AGAIN!

I thought I knew most of the Tricks of the Trade and most of the Tactics and intricacies of the this delightful game, BUT I had no IDEA that hidden tanks silenced themselves.

That's just SO much game detail I still can't believe I did not pick up on that until now.

Thanks ever so much, I'll take your 99% as being RIGHT ON!

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kking199:

lol... I just investigated this the other day... the book states that an Armor unit when Hiding engine's are in low idle, on page 159.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doh! You're correct. That's why I always allow myself to be 1% incorrect smile.gif Anyway, the point being that whether the engines are off or on low idle, the sound is greatly reduced than if you're just sitting there. Of THAT I'm 100% sure. Much harder to find them that way.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Thanks Jeff

I will be hiding my vehicles now to quiet them down.

I never knew that sound contact was such a Cool feature and never really figured that the "sound contact" was a big deal anyway because you could not be sure where the darn unit was anyway.

But it IS worth considering if you are setting up an ambush smile.gif or just sitting and waiting.

Thanks again

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 11-04-2000).]