Looking for opinions on platoons

Just wondering what everyone's favorite platoon type is. I like the Canadian Rifle platoon quite well. The 2in mortar is a nice addition and the PIAT is useful sometimes. The squads have reasonable fire power at all ranges and are an all around good buy. Also the American Paratroop platoon is useful. With all those .30 cal teams and the 60mm mortar as well as a bazooka they can take on pretty much anything anytime!

Anyone else?

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

I think that it's tough to point to platoons from one nationality being better in all occasions than others. Especially since German squads were more highly specialized than Allied squads. For example, would you want VG SMG squads duking it out in 250m+ engagements? Hrm, probably not. But they're wonderful for tight battles.

I think the standard US 12-man rifle squad is probably the most well-rounded in the game, but I really have no preference.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

The 12 man US squad isn't too bad. I'd rather have an Engineer platoon though.

However I think the most well rounded squad is the 13 man Sturmgruppe Squad. You can only buy them in a Sturmkompanie but they're great. I only wish you could buy a Sturmplatoon!

------------------

-Steve

My website!

Guest Andrew Hedges

I like the 12-man US squads, too. They are good all-around troops who, while they are not as specialized as some German troops, they don't do anything really badly, either.

Although I should point out that when I was playing CE on the demo, I did get a platoon mauled in the woods at close range by SMG squads. My first hint that even though I didn't know what the numbers in the firepower table meant, I should probably examine them nonetheless.

Anybody have comments on British Glider platoons? They only have 7 men! Seem quite interesting too me. I believe these are the smallest squads in the game. And Sturmgruppe squads the largest (13 men)?

------------------

-Steve

My website!

A major source of Wild Bill scenarios!

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colin:

Anybody have comments on British Glider platoons? They only have 7 men! Seem quite interesting too me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are very weak, but you have a lot of flexibility because you get 4 squads to a platoon, giving you an extra HQ. I have used them once, and did not find them having enough OOmmphh to go up and storm some Germans entrenched in a village.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 10-29-2000).]

Sure the Sturmkompanie gets 13 men to a squad, but 4 of them are just their to yell insults at the enemy.

"The Statue of Liberty is Kaput!"

- German propoganda from SPR.

[This message has been edited by Pillar (edited 10-29-2000).]

Anybody have comments on British Glider platoons? They only have 7 men! Seem quite interesting too me. I believe these are the smallest squads in the game. And Sturmgruppe squads the largest (13 men)?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brit Gliders have Gammon bombs, perhaps their only saving grace. Though you do get 4 platoons per company.

US Gliders, on the other hand have excellent FP, 12 men, rifle grenades, and gammon bombs. And come with 4 platoons per company. Though unless you mix-and-match Force types, you don't get any armor or vehicles (outside of the jeeps). The 75mm Pack howitzer that comes with Paras is great if you can keep it alive long enough to carve up some enemy squads. Can even kill the occasional tank.

You can split the Sturmgruppe squads in half and still retain a decent amount of FP (as well as reasonable staying power) per half-squad.

- Chris

Brit Gliders have 4 platoons per CO not 4 squads per platoon (although that might make them more useable).

They are far too weak. They are only useful for very small engagements and commando raids.

------------------

-Steve

My website!

A major source of Wild Bill scenarios!

Guest Germanboy

Brit Gliders have 4 platoons per CO not 4 squads per platoon (although that might make them more useable).

They are far too weak. They are only useful for very small engagements and commando raids.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops, my bad. That's what I meant. And I agree with the assessment.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 10-29-2000).]

Volksturm squads only have seven men as well. But that of course begs the question - has anyone ever in the history of wargaming voluntarily chosen Volksturm units?

If so, to which mental institution is their mail to be addressed?

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

But that of course begs the question - has anyone ever in the history of wargaming voluntarily chosen Volksturm units?

If so, to which mental institution is their mail to be addressed?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Institute for the Criminally Insouciant

Fresno, CA

I bought them to hold a village while employing SS for the "active" defense- against Peng. I won.

Guest *Captain Foobar*

I think the best platoons by far are usually my opponent's. They achieve spectacular feats, while my platoons are the worst of all...