Schreck mettle...aaaarrgghhh!

This is a purely subjective and emotive observation, but it seems to me that when I play as Axis, my schreck men are for the most part lilly livered, run-away, die like flies wastes of space (Well, *once* I had a chap who stood up and actualy fired at the flank of a Sherman efffectively). On the other hand, when the cused AI is playing as Axis, *it's* schreck men are made of steel and all sprang from the loins of John Wayne!

*sigh* It's been a long weekend and I want my copy of The Game to arrive.

Ober

------------------

"Them Yankees couldn't hit the broa..."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OberGrupenStompinFeuhrer!:

This is a purely subjective and emotive observation, but it seems to me that when I play as Axis, my schreck men are for the most part lilly livered, run-away, die like flies wastes of space (Well, *once* I had a chap who stood up and actualy fired at the flank of a Sherman efffectively)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In several games of CE against the AI (I always play the Germs in that situation) I've had the conscript schreck teams up in the west end of the woods on the right plink Shermans at a pretty good distance (100-150 m). One of them even popped two of them in consecutive turns.

I think they usually were firing from relative cover (along one of the clear trails in the woods), in C&C, and had seen no incoming fire to that point (hidden). They walked up, looked for *waaaay* too long, and started letting fly with the rockets at Shermans in the open that were usually unsuspecting (firing into the church from partway up the hill).

It's also not a good idea to charge shrecks in to try and get a bead on tanks. They usually get spotted and die. It works best for me when I have my 'shrecks already in position to wait for a sherm rather than manuevering them. I think the key is patience.

Re the effectiveness of 'schrek teams my experience on the receiving end has been the key influence of the team's experience level.

Green and conscript teams need to be kept in good cover and to use ambush tactics. They are very easily panicked if asked to "charge forward " to an attack position or assault a tank. I have seen regular and veteran teams, on the other hand, run forward to attack a tank and in the face of fire ,effect a Sherman kill.

I have found 'shreck teams to be most effective when placed in ambush and kept hiding until you have a good kill potential on an armored vehicle.

I had a game yesterday where enemy infantry walked right buy my shreck team hiding at the edge of the woods without triggering the team and then it popped up and killed two Cromwells that were following the infantry.

I had another team on the other flank that killed a third Cromwell from a hding position. Team experience is defintitely critical as pcelt has stated.

Ghost